History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Front Range with Entrance Including a Wing and Link to Wing with Former Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Oxford, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7516 / 51°45'5"N

Longitude: -1.2626 / 1°15'45"W

OS Eastings: 451003

OS Northings: 206133

OS Grid: SP510061

Mapcode National: GBR 7XS.5MF

Mapcode Global: VHCXV.27DL

Entry Name: Front Range with Entrance Including a Wing and Link to Wing with Former Chapel

Listing Date: 18 February 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369492

English Heritage Legacy ID: 246000

Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

Town: Oxford

Electoral Ward/Division: Carfax

Built-Up Area: Oxford

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Oxford St Barnabas with St Thomas the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Oxford

Listing Text

HM PRISON OXFORD NEW ROAD
SP 5106 SW
8/10011 Front range with Entrance inc.
A Wing & Link to Wing with
former Chapel
GV II
Administrative range, former chapel and prison wing. Front Range
c1800 with mid C19 and later alterations; A Wing and Link 1848-56 by
H.J. Underwood and J. C. Buckler. Coursed rubble with stone
dressings. Front range 2 storeys with Tudor arched, hoodmoulded
entrance in canted wing to left; until the mid C19 entrance in the
central crenellated tower with stone buttresses. Tower now with 2
hoodmoulded windows to ground floor and 1 at 1st floor with 2
cruciform arrow slits above and corbels below parapet. Ashlar dressed
windows to range linked by continuous hoodmoulds at ground floor and
sill bands to 1st. Interior converted for administration. Public
executions were carried out on the tower until 1863. Link Building 3
storeys. 4 windows deep. Each angle with a machicolated tower;
parapet to front rises behind former entrance tower. Machicolated
parapet to returns. Inteior converted for administration but
sanctuary arch, cornice and raked floor of former chapel extant. A
Wing 3 storeys and semi-basement. Long range parallel to entrance
range. 2nd and 3rd floor stone-dressed windows with slightly pointed
arches and continuous sill bands. Large tripartite windows to gable
ends light internal atrium with galleries to low-height cell
entrances; cells barrel-vaulted.


Listing NGR: SP5106906178

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.