This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0615 / 52°3'41"N
Longitude: -1.3391 / 1°20'20"W
OS Eastings: 445408
OS Northings: 240552
OS Grid: SP454405
Mapcode National: GBR 7ST.Q8G
Mapcode Global: VHCW7.QGY0
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 9 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369519
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244367
Location: Banbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX16
Civil Parish: Banbury
Built-Up Area: Banbury
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Banbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BANBURY HORSE FAIR
SP4540NW Church of St. Mary
Church. c.1790. By S.P. Cockerell. Tower and portico 1818-1822 by C.R.
Cockerell. Internal alterations c.1858-59 for the Revd. William Wilson and
c.l863-81 for the Revd. Henry Back. Second stage of alterations carried out by
the architect Arthur Blomfield. Ironstone ashlar. Copper and lead roofs. Nave,
chancel and west tower. Classical style. West portico of tower: semi-circular
Doric portico with columns and half-dome surmounted by a tower of 3 stages and
cupola. Portico has wide triglyph frieze. Ground floor of rusticated stone. 3
entrances; main entrance and 2 side entrances. All doorways have 8-panelled
doors and cornices on consoles. 2 side windows with semi-circular heads. Central
oculus. Nave: rusticated ground floor, ashlar above. 5 square headed windows to
ground floor. First floor has 5 semi-circular headed windows with rusticated,
keystoned surrounds. Moulded cornice. Chancel: pedimented central bay flanked by
vestries which have oculi and panelled doors. Northern oculus blocked. Interior:
original plan included 90' square nave with 12 Ionic columns supporting a
shallow domed roof; galleries surrounded nave on 4 sides: small rectangular
chancel; eastern gallery carried organ. Present arrangement is the result of
alterations and remodelling by Blomfield. Chancel: apse formed within existing
walls of chancel and surmounted by a half-dome, linked to the arch supporting
the nave dome by a barrel vault. Nave as originally planned but with gallery on
3 sides only; the eastern gallery pulled down and the organ placed on the north
side of the chancel. Side chapels to north and south; Lady chapel to north.
Resurrection chapel to south in memory of those killed in 1939-1945 war.
Vestries either side of chancel. Staircase with wreathed handrail, balcony and
meeting room above. Side entrances in west end also contain staircases to upper
floor. Chancel fittings by Blomfield include: low stone walls of chancel with
patterns of inlaid marble surrounding choir; choir stalls; altar rails; chancel
pavement (Godwin of Lugwardine); organ case (carved in 1874 by Rattee and Kett);
pulpit (carved in 1885 by Rattee and Kett); square white font inlaid with marble
(by Alfred Claridge); wrought-iron gates to the choir (1902 by Starkie Gardner).
Nave fittings: oak pews as per original plan, probably cut down or renewed late
C19. Stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne 1864-1881 to Blomfields design.
Rich colour scheme designed by Blomfield and executed by Heaton, Butler and
Bayne including imitation mosaic (Pevsner) in the chancel, depicting Christ in
majesty, 1876. Redecoration in 1960 caused Blomfields unified colour scheme to
be lost. Memorials: in marble to Ann Dolly, daughter of Paynton Piggott, d.1824
aged 21, situated in east wall of nave to left of chancel arch; marble memorial
to Francis Piggott, d.1790 situated on east wall of nave to right of chancel
arch; wall memorials in porch to right of main entrance; stone wall tablet to
Iohn Knight and Ioane his wife (he died 22/11/1587, she died 26/12/1590); marble
wall tablet to Margareta Knight; marble wall tablet to William Knight
(Photographs in N.M.R.; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.X, pp.102-4; Buildings of
England: Oxfordshire, 1974, pp.435-9; Cooper, N. The Building and Furnishing of
St. Mary's Church, Banbury, 1972, off-printed from Cake and Cock Horse; Proof of
evidence submitted by Peter Howell, in the Consistory Court 26/9/84).
Listing NGR: SP4540840553
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings