History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Anne

A Grade II* Listed Building in Epwell, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0615 / 52°3'41"N

Longitude: -1.4866 / 1°29'11"W

OS Eastings: 435292

OS Northings: 240473

OS Grid: SP352404

Mapcode National: GBR 6R9.NZD

Mapcode Global: VHBYQ.5FYZ

Entry Name: Church of St Anne

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369555

English Heritage Legacy ID: 244568

Location: Epwell, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Epwell

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Epwell

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Epwell

Listing Text

EPWELL
SP 3540
12/12 Church of St. Anne
08/12/55
GV II*
Church. C13 with C14 alterations and repairs in 1425-6 and 1857. Coursed
ironstone rubble and regular coursed ironstone rubble. Nave has low pitch slate
roof, chancel has lead roof. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south west tower and
porch. 4-window range. Chancel has a 3-light Decorated east window with
trefoiled head, single and 2-light lancets on south and single and 2-light
Decorated windows on north. Priest's doorway on south with segmental pointed
head and plank door. Nave has a blocked, pointed arched doorway on north flanked
by 2-light Perpendicular windows with square heads. West end has a 3-light
window with Intersecting tracery. South-west tower of 3 stages forms entrance
porch, with pointed, arched doorway with headstops. Plank door. 2-light lancets
and sundial. Crenellated parapet. Chancel roof restored in 1981 by G.F-Lawson.
C19 nave and south aisle roofs. Decorated 2-bay south aisle arcade of 2
chamfered orders, the third bay of the arcade remains to the head of the inner
doorway. Decorated piscina in south aisle. C14 octagonal font on round base.
Early C18 pulpit. C19 reading desk, benches and altar rail.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p595; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p255)


Listing NGR: SP3529240473

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.