This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7559 / 51°45'21"N
Longitude: -1.254 / 1°15'14"W
OS Eastings: 451590
OS Northings: 206623
OS Grid: SP515066
Mapcode National: GBR 8YY.V33
Mapcode Global: VHCXV.64X7
Entry Name: Wadham College, Main Quadrangle Including Chapel, Hall, Kitchen, Library and Cloister
Listing Date: 12 January 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369701
English Heritage Legacy ID: 245196
Location: Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holywell
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Oxford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Oxford St Mary the Virgin with St Cross with St Peter-in-the-East,
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1. WADHAM COLLEGE
including Chapel, Hall,
Kitchen, Library and
SP 5106 NE 6/187A 12.1.54.
Ranges on North, South and West, the latter having a gatehouse. In late
C18 attics were converted to rooms, other alterations made and sashes fitted.
The Warden's Lodging moved from West to North range in 1626-40 and altered
1812 and 1832. The East range has the ante-chapel and Chapel which includes
notable stained glass by Bernard van Linge 1622. In 1832 Blore restored it
including the making of the ceiling which was repaired 1908. There was also
a restoration in 1885-6. In 1935-6 the external parapet in South was renewed
in Farmington stone with other work in Clipsham stone completed 1939. The
tracery of the original chapel windows was done by William Arnold and John
Spicer, masons. The Hall roof was made by Thomas Holt, carpenter, in 1611;
it was repaired 1908. The Kitchen was largely rebuilt 1872 with the addition
of a corridor leading from the Hall, with the Library over it. The Cloister
lies against the East wall of the hall and of the ante-chapel.
Listing NGR: SP5159206615
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings