This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8146 / 51°48'52"N
Longitude: -1.2116 / 1°12'41"W
OS Eastings: 454446
OS Northings: 213173
OS Grid: SP544131
Mapcode National: GBR 8YF.6HC
Mapcode Global: VHCXG.YNBB
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369713
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243350
Location: Noke, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX3
Civil Parish: Noke
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Noke
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
6/108 Church of St. Giles
Church, C13, restored late C16, and C19 by W. Wilkinson. Limestone rubble with
ashlar dressings; plain-tile roof. Nave, chancel and south porch. Chancel
retains a pair of lancets in the south wall, but the small east window of 2
depressed-arched lights under a label is probably C17. The nave has, to south,
two 2-light square-headed C16 windows with uncusped hollow-chamfered 4-centre
arched lights and labels; the central porch has chamfered inner and outer arched
doorways, the former with a panelled door. The west wall has a lancet and rises
to a C19 stone bellcote replacing a former timber-framed turret. The north side
of the nave has another arched doorway, now blocked, and a crude 2-light
mullioned window. Interior: C14 chancel arch with contemporary trefoil-headed
niche to south and a C15 niche to north. 4-bay nave roof with butt purlins,
curved windbraces and curved struts is probably C16 and contemporary with the
Winchcombe chapel, formerly to the north of the church. Fittings include a C17
pulpit with carved arched panels, and a plain tub font, probably C12/C13.
Monuments include a brass to Joan Bradshawe (died 1598) and the mutilated effigy
of her grandson Benedict Winchcombe (died 1623), together with several related
tablets bearing inscriptions.
(V.C.H.: 0xfordshire, Vol.Vl, p.275; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,
Listing NGR: SP5444613173
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings