This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9954 / 51°59'43"N
Longitude: -1.4842 / 1°29'3"W
OS Eastings: 435512
OS Northings: 233125
OS Grid: SP355331
Mapcode National: GBR 6S2.X5M
Mapcode Global: VHBZ3.737M
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 8 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 244044
Location: Hook Norton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15
Civil Parish: Hook Norton
Built-Up Area: Hook Norton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Hook Norton with Great Rollright and Swerford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
HOOK NORTON HIGH STREET
SP3533 (North side)
10/33 Church of St. Peter
Parish Church. Romanesque chancel and north transept. Late C12 Transitional
south transept and south aisle. Nave and north aisle EE/DEC. C14
Perpendicular clerestory and west tower. Porch rebuilt in 1825. Regular
ironstone rubble and ashlar with lead roof. Nave, chancel, north transept,
north aisle, south transept continuous with south aisle, west tower, south
porch. Chancel has 2 round-headed Romanesque windows with hood moulds and stops
in both north and south walls. 2-light Decorated windows in north aisle.
Chancel: East window curvilinear. Windows of south aisle: intersecting tracery
and a form of curvilinear tracery with triangular shapes in heads. Perp.
north window in north transept; Perp. clerestory with 5-light window over
chancel arch. West tower of 4 stages with embattled parapet, 8 pinnacles and
gargoyles; west doorway with square hood mould with quatrefoils in spandrels.
Pilaster buttresses and string course to Romanesque chancel. Blocked doorways
in east wall of north transept; south wall of chancel and north wall of north
aisle. Latter includes blocked jambs, imposts and tympanum of a Romanesque
doorway. South doorway E.E. with two orders of roll moulding and jamb shafts
and capitals carved with bunched leaves. Interior: Nave has blocked staircase
to rood; north arcade of 3 bays with short octagonal piers and double-
chamfered arches. 4th bay later with high arch to transept. South aisle has
tall octagonal piers and Perp. east bay opening to transept. East chancel arch
has imposts of earlier arch. Chancel contains double piscina and 2-seat sedilia
in south wall; round-headed niche in east wall and another in north wall
formerly doorway. Fittings: Romanesque font with carved figures including Adam
and Eve and the signs of the zodiac. Pulpit 1882. Wall paintings: C15 over
chancel arch and C14 fragment over south arcade. Stained glass: east window
1881 by Ward and Hughes; south aisle east window possibly by Morris. Monuments:
north transept to John Croker dated 1568, to Anne wife of Thomas Wise 1703,
part of Elizabethan tomb and large stone with matrix.
Nave has memorials and floor stone to family of Lampet 1781 - 1858.
(Buildings of England : Oxfordshire, 1974 p.651; Chambers, R.A. - Hook Norton:
All Saints Church, Oxford Archaeological Unit Annual Report 1982, p130).
Listing NGR: SP3550633124
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings