History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Deddington Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Deddington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.979 / 51°58'44"N

Longitude: -1.3221 / 1°19'19"W

OS Eastings: 446655

OS Northings: 231385

OS Grid: SP466313

Mapcode National: GBR 7TT.VZB

Mapcode Global: VHCWN.1JD8

Entry Name: Deddington Manor

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1369842

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243945

Location: Deddington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Deddington

Built-Up Area: Deddington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Deddington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Deddington

Listing Text

SP4631 DEDDINGTON NEW STREET
(West side)
8/219 Deddington Manor
08/12/55

GV II
Small country house. Circa 1800 probably for Samuel Churchill, extended c.1840
and early C20. Marlstone ashlar and coursed squared marlstone with ashlar
dressings; Welsh-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. Cruciform plan with service
range plus extensions. Neo-classical style. 2 storeys and 3 storeys. Principal
front, facing garden, has a projecting 3-storey central section, with French
window at ground floor, a stone-architraved tripartite sash at first floor,
linked by its keyblock to a moulded cornice, and a triangular-pedimented attic
storey with a Diocletian window and panelled corner pilasters. Cornice and
first-floor storeyband return and are carried across a blind 2-storey bay to
left, which also has a large panel at first floor; corresponding bay to right is
masked by an early-C20 ashlar extension in similar style. Left end of range
forms a shallow bow with three 12-pane sashes at first floor, and matching
sashes below flanking a French window; an added bay of c.1840, beyond the bow,
has a further sash above a full-height tripartite sash. Shallow-pitched roofs
are concealed by plain parapets rising from the cornices. Right end of main
range, facing road, has a symmetrical 3-window arrangement of sashes, plus a
central doorway with ornamental overlight and a stone triangular-pedimented
Roman-Doric porch; added bay to left has a sash at first floor. To right, a
2-storey blind arch links to the lower 2-storey rubble service range which has
two 3-light leaded casements at each floor plus a C20 doorway; it returns in an
L-shape. Rear of main range includes a 3-storey central section with a tall
arched stair window. Interior: some contemporary joinery, fireplaces and
friezes; oak-stair of c.1840. An unusual and distinguished composition, somewhat
obscured by the C20 addition, to rear of which is a small landscaped park.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p572; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p97)


Listing NGR: SP4665531385

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.