This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2987 / 51°17'55"N
Longitude: 1.1189 / 1°7'8"E
OS Eastings: 617523
OS Northings: 160128
OS Grid: TR175601
Mapcode National: GBR TXY.FQN
Mapcode Global: VHLGG.BMW8
Entry Name: Milner Court
Listing Date: 29 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1369995
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171460
Location: Sturry, Canterbury, Kent, CT2
Civil Parish: Sturry
Built-Up Area: Sturry
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5273 STURRY MILNER LANE
TR 1760 32/596 29.9.52
Formerly Sturry Court. In the Middle Ages St Augustine's Abbey, Canterbury,
had a grange on the site but the present house was built by Thomas Smythe in
1583. Three storeys red brick. Tiled roof. The east front has 3 windows.
Three hipped dormers, a gable with an attic window in it at the south end of
the front, 2 chimney breasts, some casement windows and some sash windows with
glazing bars intact.
The south front is L-shaped. Two windows. The west window bay projects and
has a blocked doorway on the ground floor flanked by pilasters with a stone
above it inscribed "1583 T A S" (Thomas and Ann Smythe) and a double cornice
above this with a circular recess between the two. The original first floor
window above is blocked and a smaller window has been inserted within its outline.
The west front has been repointed. It has 3 gables, a projection at the north
end, irregular fenestration and a gabled modern projection in the centre of
the ground and first floors. The north front has 2 chimney breasts.
Vicsount Milner occupied the house from 1921-25 and on his death in 1925 it
was given by Lady Milner to King's School, Canterbury, and has been part of
the Junior School of that school since 1928.
Interior supposed to have C16 wall painting in a cupboard.
Listing NGR: TR1759660193
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings