This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1953 / 52°11'42"N
Longitude: -1.2045 / 1°12'16"W
OS Eastings: 454474
OS Northings: 255523
OS Grid: SP544555
Mapcode National: GBR 8SS.89L
Mapcode Global: VHCVR.22MY
Entry Name: Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370027
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360544
Location: Charwelton, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11
Civil Parish: Charwelton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Charwelton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
4/54 Church of Holy Trinity
Church. C14 and C15, chancel rebuilt C17 and C18; church restored, and chancel
again rebuilt and extended one bay east 1901-1904, by G. Christopher Carter.
Ironstone ashlar and coursed ironstone rubble, lead roofs. Chancel, north
chancel chapel, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower. East end
has 2-light Perpendicular window with relieving arch of red tiles and hood mould
extended out over relief carvings of angels with symbol of the Holy Trinity in
relief below window. Flanking buttresses, small niche just below apex of stone
coped gable with kneelers; wooden cross at apex. Small leaded windows to
eastermost bay either side, and two 2-light mullion windows to south side with
round headed tile relieving arches. Fine ornamental lead guttering, rainwater
pipes and heads dated 1904. North chancel chapel, continuous with north aisle,
has 4-light Perpendicular east window and north-east window of 2 lights, both
with hood moulds. Aisle window of 3 lights to east of chamfered pointed arch
north door, single light to west of door, all with hood moulds. South aisle has
east and south-east 3-light Perpendicular windows with square heads and hood
moulds and 3-light west window. 2-storey gabled south porch has double-chamfered
door and 1-light window above both with hood moulds, small rectangular leaded
windows east and west, and staircase projection to west side corbelled out at
first floor level. Porch has chamfered stone rib vault within. Double-chamfered
south door with unusual double-leaf door with wickets for ventilation; similar
to north door. Nave has clerestory of 4 Perpendicular windows north and south of
2 lights with straight heads and hood moulds. Aisles, porch and clerestory have
plain parapets with gargoyles to clerestory. Battlemented 3-stage west tower
with angle buttresses, Double-chamfered west door with hood mould and label
stops, and 2-light Decorated windows above and to bell-chamber openings, all
with hood moulds. Interior: chancel is panelled with commandments painted by
Eric Gill, 1904, either side of altar reredos. Mid C18 baluster altar rail.
Round-headed arch to north chancel chapel now vestry. Mid C18 communion table
with marble top in vestry. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave has arcades of 3
bays. Decorated north arcade with tall piers without capitals, their moulding is
continuous with those of arches. Lower south arcade with octagonal piers and
double-chamfered arches. South aisle has single pointed arch piscina and
part-glazed plank door with chamfered hinges to parvise stair right of door.
Double-chamfer tower arch with hood mould and label stops. Octagonal limestone
font on square stem, both carved with flowers, leaves and geometric emblems of
the Trinity. Jacobean pulpit. Lectern of Spanish chestnut carved by Reverend A.
Hemsted of Preston Capes,c.1900. Fine series of brasses, wall monuments and
alabaster chest tomb with effigies to members of Andrews family, C15 and C16.
Original perspective for chancel rebuilding by G.C. Carter hangs in tower
showing unexecuted stone parapet.
(Buildings of England: Northants, p.147; Parish records in Northants Record
Office; C. Coleman: 'Charwelton Village and Church"; some notes, no date
Listing NGR: SP5447455523
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings