History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Carburton, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2531 / 53°15'11"N

Longitude: -1.0855 / 1°5'7"W

OS Eastings: 461111

OS Northings: 373286

OS Grid: SK611732

Mapcode National: GBR NZVT.SK

Mapcode Global: WHFGL.9HBG

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1370105

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241361

Location: Carburton, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Carburton

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Worksop Priory with Carburton

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Worksop

Listing Text

SK 67 SW CARBURTON PIPER LANE
(West side)

9/5 Church of
St. Giles
30.11.66
G.V. II*

Parish church. C12, late C13, C17, C18, c.1887. Ashlar
dressings, render, lead roofs with moulded kneelers. Nave,
chancel, vestry, south porch, western bell turret. The nave west
wall has a late C13 2-light Y traceried window and above an C18
bellcote with triangular headed louvred openings to each face and
a low pitched lead roof. To the south west angle an C18 sundial
forms the uppermost qoin with faces to west and south. To nave
north wall is a restored 2 light Y traceried window. C19 vestry
with 4 centred arched door and windows. To east wall is a single
late C13 lancet with hood mould and human head label stops,
flanked by single narrow C12 lights. The two and a half bays of
the late C12 south nave arcade, now blocked, are visible
externally: 2 octagonal piers and one keeled respond at the east
end. The capitals are hollow chamfered and the more westerly has
hobnail decoration. The eastern respond capital has waterleaf
foliage. The rounded arches are single chamfered. C18 south
porch has a round headed outer opening and a pitched slate roof
with plain barge board. The C12 south doorway has a plain
chamfered opening with a hood mould and to the right a beast head
label stop. The south door itself is probably also C12, but
repaired. Inside, the cambered tie beam roof retains its moulded
C17 principals. In the north wall is a pointed headed niche.
C19 pointed headed doorway to vestry on north side of the
chancel. In the north and south walls are aumbries. Fittings
are C19 apart from C12 slightly tapering circular tub font.
Monuments: in the sanctuary floor an engraved armorial brass
plate to Sir John Mazine, d.1677, horsemaster to the 1st Duke of
Newcastle.


Listing NGR: SK6111173286

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.