History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Our Lady and St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Bothamsall, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2533 / 53°15'11"N

Longitude: -0.9892 / 0°59'21"W

OS Eastings: 467533

OS Northings: 373399

OS Grid: SK675733

Mapcode National: GBR PZJT.MH

Mapcode Global: WHFGM.SH49

Entry Name: Church of Our Lady and St Peter

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Last Amended: 14 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1370119

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241513

Location: Bothamsall, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Bothamsall

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Bothamsall

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Ollerton

Listing Text

SK 67 SE BOTHAMSALL MAIN STREET
(east side)

4/10 Church of Our Lady
and St. Peter (formerly
1.2.67 listed as Church of St Peter
and St Mary)
GV II
Parish church. C14, rebuilt 1845 by the Duke of Newcastle with
stone from Worksop Manor. Ashlar. Tile roofs. Embattled
parapets, the east ends of the nave, chancel and vestry are
raised and coped and have kneelers. The chancel has a single
ridge finial and the nave a finial of 2 diagonally set shafts
topped with open cusped tracery. Buttressed, set on a chamfered
plinth with a red brick base in parts. Tower with north east
stair turret, nave, north aisle, north vestry and chancel. Angle
buttressed tower of 3 stages with bands. 3 remaining crocketed
pinnacles of 4, 8 gargoyles. In the west wall is a single arched
window with 2 arched and cusped lights, tracery hood mould and
human head label stops. On the north side, between the buttress
and stair turret is a tiled lean-to containing a moulded arched
doorway with hood mould and decorative label stops. In the south
wall is a moulded arched doorway with hood mould and C14 human
head label stops. The 4 arched bell chamber openings each have 2
arched lights and a hood mould. There are single rectangular
openings to the south and west with hood moulds and decorative
label stops and single colock faces to the south, west and north.
The stair turret of 3 stages with bands and 4 small gargoyles has
2 rectangular lights, at the third stage is a small rectangular
window with 2 arched lights and trefoil under a flat arch. The
north aisle with single finials at the angles of the parapet and
2 gargoyles has 3 windows each with a single arched and cusped
light under a flat arch. The vestry has in the north wall a
single pointed arched and cusped light with hood mould and
foliate label stops, to the left is a chamfered arched doorway
with hood mould and label stops. The east wall has a single
pointed arched and cusped light with hood mould and foliate label
stops. The east chancel with single crocketed pinnacles at the
angles has 2 gargoyles and a single arched window with 2 arched
and cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and foliate label stops.
The south chancel has 2 windows each with 2 arched and cusped
lights, tracery, cambered arch, hood mould and foliate label
stops. The nave has 3 arched windows each with 3 arched and
cusped lights, hood mould and human head label stops. Interior.
3 bay C14 nave arcade with octagonal columns, keeled responds,
moulded capitals and double chamfered arches. The tower and
chancel double chamfered arches are both supported on octagonal
responds and moulded capitals. There is an arched north doorway
in the tower and an arched doorway leading to the vestry. To the
left-of the south west doorway is an arched stoup. The furniture
is C19 and C20 apart from the C14 octagonal font which has panels
decorated with blind tracery and a castellated traceried band
running around the top. In the chancel are 2 C14 floor slabs
decorated with single stylised crosses, also a mid C14 brass
either a demi-effigy or the top half of a lady. There is a
monument in the north aisle to Elizabeth Mason, 1796. That to
John Mason, 1802, has single pilasters with paterae flanking the
inscription and supporting an architrave. There is a board
detailing the donation of Mr. Joseph Holliday, 1826. The timbers
of the chancel, nave and aisle roofs are supported on decorative
corbels. The quadripartite vaulted tower has decorative corbels
and a single
boss.


Listing NGR: SK6753373399

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.