This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0581 / 53°3'29"N
Longitude: -0.8544 / 0°51'15"W
OS Eastings: 476878
OS Northings: 351818
OS Grid: SK768518
Mapcode National: GBR BKG.6TP
Mapcode Global: WHFHN.VDBF
Entry Name: 1, Church Street
Listing Date: 16 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370155
English Heritage Legacy ID: 241983
Location: Farndon, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG24
District: Newark and Sherwood
Civil Parish: Farndon
Built-Up Area: Farndon (Newark and Sherwood)
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Farndon with Thorpe
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
FARNDON CHURCH STREET
SK 75 SE (south side)
House. Early and mid C18, rainwater head dated 1794 when the
house was refronted, C20 alterations. Red brick with ashlar
dressings. Hipped slate roof. 2 red brick stacks to rear.
Ashlar modillion cornice, the central slightly projecting bay
being topped with a pediment. Set on a plinth. Two and a half
storeys with basement, 5 bays. Basement lintel/plinth, ground
and first floor sill and first floor ashlar bands. Central
closed C20 porch with ashlar coped parapet. 4 steps up is the
1794 doorway. 6 fielded panel door with fluted architrave and
decorative traceried fanlight. Either side are 2 small ashlar
pilasters. The inner pilaster has a moulded band to the outer
angle which is broken by the imposts, but continues over the
fanlight and has a keystone. The outer pilasters support single
moulded brackets and an open dentil pediment. Either side are
single marginal lights with ashlar surrounds and flush ashlar
wedge lintels. In the side walls of the porch are single sashes.
Either side are 2 sashes. Above is a single central Venetian
window with ashlar surround and hood mould with keystone.
Either side are 2 sashes. Above is a single central Diocletian
window in ashlar surround. Either side are 2 small sashes. All
sashes have lateral glazing bars, are under cambered arches and
have flush wedge ashlar lintels. The east and west sides each
have single canted C20 single storey bays. To the rear are
earlier and later wings. Interior has a good late C18 dogleg
stair with turned balusters and decorated tread ends. The room
to the right of the porch has an Adamesque fireplace and fluted
chair rail. The room to the left has a contemporary marble
fireplace, now painted. Good doors throughout, one side having
6 fielded panels, the other with decorative shaped panels.
Reveals with similar decorative panels, and ceiling above the
staircase with similar plaster work and single acanthus decorated
Listing NGR: SK7687851818
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings