History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Orangery, Fountain and Garden Wall at Rufford Abbey

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rufford Country Park, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1755 / 53°10'31"N

Longitude: -1.0351 / 1°2'6"W

OS Eastings: 464589

OS Northings: 364700

OS Grid: SK645647

Mapcode National: GBR 9GB.WN5

Mapcode Global: WHFH0.2FCY

Entry Name: Orangery, Fountain and Garden Wall at Rufford Abbey

Listing Date: 10 July 1975

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1370165

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241931

Location: Rufford, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Rufford

Built-Up Area: Rufford Country Park

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Wellow

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Edwinstowe

Listing Text

RUFFORD off OLD RUFFORD ROAD
SK 66 SW
(east side)
6/81 Orangery, fountain and garden
wall at Rufford Abbey
10.7.75

GV II

the grade shall be amended to read: Grade II* (star)


------------------------------------

RUFFORD off OLD RUFFORD
SK 66 SW ROAD (east side)

6/81 Orangery, fountain
and garden wall at
Rufford Abbey
1O.7.75

G.V. II

Bath summer house. 1729. By John Hallam. Converted to orangery
1889. Brick and coursed squared rubble with ashlar dressings.
Roofless. Chamfered brick and stone plinths, first floor band,
moulded cornice. Single and 2 storeys. 3 unequal bays.
Rectangular plan with, to east, canted bay window and adjoining
threequarter round fountain. North side has central doorway
with elliptical head, flanking pilasters and entablature with
shaped crested gable inscribed 'S 1889'. East end has single
square flanking towers, 3 stages. Bay window has remains of 3
cross casements with moulded architraves. Attached plaque
inscribed 'This fountain is copied from an antique lamp found in
the excavations undertaken by Lord Savile GCB when Ambassador to
Rome on the site of the Temple of Diana Nemorensis at Nemi,
Italy, in 1885'. Towers have each, to east, a single round
window on each floor. West fronts have a doorway with panelled
architrave and keystoned segmental head. Above, a round window,
and above again, another round window and on inside faces, a
doorway with panelled architrave. Top stage of north east tower
rebuilt c.1971. Each tower contains an ashlar newel stair.
Ashlar coped fountain pool contains fountain in the form of a
Roman lamp. Interior has to east, 3 bay Tuscan loggia with
moulded bases and capitals, antae and diced flanking pilasters.
Adjoining garden wall, L-plan, has ramped ashlar coping. To
north, central ashlar doorway. To east, blocked doorway and to
right, pair of blocked ashlar gatepiers with flat caps. Slate
memorial tablet, 1953. Approx. 400 M long.


Listing NGR: SK6458964700

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.