History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Norwood Park and the West Wing

A Grade II* Listed Building in Southwell, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.085 / 53°5'5"N

Longitude: -0.9755 / 0°58'31"W

OS Eastings: 468717

OS Northings: 354683

OS Grid: SK687546

Mapcode National: GBR BJX.L6N

Mapcode Global: WHFHD.ZQNC

Entry Name: Norwood Park and the West Wing

Listing Date: 7 August 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1370212

English Heritage Legacy ID: 242287

Location: Southwell, Newark and Sherwood, Nottinghamshire, NG25

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Newark and Sherwood

Civil Parish: Southwell

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Southwell St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Southwell

Listing Text

In the entry for

SOUTHWELL NORWOOD PARK
SK 6854
1919-0/5/219 Norwood Park and the west
wing
07/08/52
GV II

The grade shall be amended to read

SK 6854 SOUTHWELL NORWOOD PARK

1919-0/5/219 Norwood Park and the west
wing
07/08/52
GV II*

------------------------------------
SOUTHWELL

NORWOOD PARK
SK6854
1919-0/5/219 Norwood Park and the West Wing
07/08/52
GV II

Country house. c1763, altered late C19. In the style of John
Carr of York. Brick with stone dressings and hipped slate
roofs. Plinth, first floor band, modillion eaves and pediment,
low parapets, 2 ridge stacks. Windows are glazing bar sashes,
those to the garden front with keystone lintels, those to the
entrance front with rubbed brick heads. Central 3 storey main
block, flanked by hipped 2 storey wings, and beyond, single
2-storey pavilions. Former entrance front, now garden front,
has additional first floor sill band and a central Venetian
window in a full-height round headed recess, flanked by 2
windows. Above, 5 smaller windows. Central moulded doorcase
with pediment on scroll brackets, half-glazed door and
fanlight. On either side, a small flanking window and beyond,
2 windows. At each side, a canted single storey bay window
with 3 sashes. Each wing has a side wall stack and 3 windows.
Left wing has, below, a French window flanked to left by a
round headed window. Right wing has a late C19 full-width
addition with a gabled projecting conservatory. Each pavilion
has a central stack and a central round headed window in a
full height round headed recess, and below, a simple Venetian
window with round heads. Right pavilion has a set back
addition to right with a single ground floor window. Former
rear elevation, now entrance front, has brick bands and no
pediment. Central canted 2 storey porch with 3 windows,
flanked by 2 similar windows. Above, 5 smaller windows.
Central pedimented doorcase with panelled door and fanlight,
flanked by single windows, and beyond, 2 windows. Each wing
has 3 windows. Left wing has, to left, a panelled door with
fanlight. Each pavilion has the same fenestration as its
garden front. Interior has a square stair well with coved
ceiling, modillion and dentilled cornices and pyramidal roof
light. Stone and timber cantilever stair with iron stick
balusters and ramped and scrolled handrail. Ground floor doors
have keystoned round heads, first floor doors have cornices.
Former entrance hall, now study, has Adam style plaster
ceiling with central oval panel, and fireplace in similar
style. Entrance hall has enriched frieze and 2 moulded stone
fireplaces. Drawing room has modillion cornice and enriched
marble fireplace. Library, c1880, has coved ceiling and fitted
bookcases and enriched pine fireplace with drapes.
Cantilevered stone dogleg rear stair has shaped iron balusters
and ramped handrail. Main first floor rooms have moulded
cornices and Classical style fireplaces.
(Buildings of England: E Williamson: Nottinghamshire:
Harmondsworth: 1979-: 334).


Listing NGR: SK6871754683

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.