This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9417 / 54°56'30"N
Longitude: -2.5104 / 2°30'37"W
OS Eastings: 367398
OS Northings: 560901
OS Grid: NY673609
Mapcode National: GBR BCX9.9B
Mapcode Global: WH917.D1SY
Entry Name: Garden Walls Surrounding Featherstone Castle, with Gatehouse, Gateways, Bastions, Beebole and Mausoleum
Listing Date: 27 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370308
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240700
Location: Featherstone, Northumberland, NE49
Civil Parish: Featherstone
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Haltwhistle Holy Cross
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
FEATHERSTONE HALL BANK
NY 66 SE
(South side, off)
15/96 Garden walls
Garden walls, gatehouse, 3 gateways, bastions, beebole and ruins of mausoleum/
chapel; c.1812-30 for Thomas Wallace; mausoleum of Lady Jane Hope 1828. Squared
rubble. Castellated style. Continuous and extensive walls enclosing large
garden and forecourt.
1.5 to 2.5-metre high walls with flat-coped battlements. Buildings and other
features described in an anti-clockwise direction:
1. Gatehouse and archway near north-west corner. L-plan 2-storey gatehouse
has pointed openings, shield with carved lion (Wallace emblem) and parapet
with bartizan. Archway on east has 4-centred pedestrian and coach arches.
2. Tall buttressed gateway in front of castle forecourt has 4-centred arch
3. Low circular-plan bastion at south-west corner.
4. Gateway near south-east corner has wide 4-centre arch; lower section on
west with pointed doorway.
5. Low circular-plan bastion at south-east corner.
6. Mausoleum and chapel ruins to north of south-east bastion. Roofless 2-
storey mausoleum with pointed 2-light windows and tall semi-octagonal
tower. East wall of chapel on south.
7. Square-plan bastion to north of mausoleum.
8. Square-plan bastion set diagonally at north-east corner.
9. Gateway near north-east corner similar to Item 4 except that coach arch
is now blocked.
10. Beebole to west of gateway facing into garden has 4 pointed openings above
projecting stone shelves.
11. Tall single-storey square-plan tower at north-west corner has projecting
parapet with corner bartizan.
Listing NGR: NY6739860901
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings