This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3241 / 53°19'26"N
Longitude: -0.9408 / 0°56'26"W
OS Eastings: 470646
OS Northings: 381324
OS Grid: SK706813
Mapcode National: GBR PZW0.33
Mapcode Global: WHFG8.JQ60
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Swithun
Listing Date: 14 September 1949
Last Amended: 5 November 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370346
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240902
Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Electoral Ward/Division: East Retford East
Built-Up Area: Retford
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Retford Team
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
14-SEP-49 (East side)
PARISH CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN
(Formerly listed as:
CHURCH OF ST SWITHUN)
Church. C13 origins, tower rebuilt 1658 (battlemented parapet and pinnacles of 1810). Rebuilding and restorations of 1852 and 1854-5 by GG Place. Chantry chapel rebuilt 1873 by GF Bodley. Further restoration 1905.
Ashlar with low pitched roofs behind battlements or parapets.
Chancel, N and S transepts, central 4-stage crossing tower, nave with aisles, S porch. Windows have mainly Perpendicular tracery.
Much of 4-bay chancel is C19 with part of C17. N transept is mainly medieval and has 5-light N window. Lower stages of large and impressive tower are mainly blank with paired bellchamber openings. S window to S transept is 5-light. 6 3-light windows to nave clerestory, 4 to N aisle, 5 to S aisle which, like S transept and W end, has elaborate buttresses.
INTERIOR. Chancel has carved reredos. Elaborate pulpit C19 with font C15, restored C19. Arcades have finely carved foliage capitals. Roofs C19 except for S transept roof which is dated 1656. Fine set of priests' and choir stalls, and also fine set of pews in nave and aisles. Fragments of early glass in S transept W window. A notable feature of the church is the fine and extensive series of C19 stained glass by Clayton and Bell, O'Connor, Wailes, Hardman, G. Shaw of Uppermill, Kempe, and Tower (details in Pevsner).
SOURCE. Pevsner, Nottinghamshire, 1979 edn., 295-6.
Listing NGR: SK7064681324
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings