This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3222 / 53°19'19"N
Longitude: -0.9432 / 0°56'35"W
OS Eastings: 470491
OS Northings: 381104
OS Grid: SK704811
Mapcode National: GBR PZV0.LT
Mapcode Global: WHFG8.HR2J
Entry Name: Town Hall
Listing Date: 5 November 1976
Last Amended: 12 September 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370374
English Heritage Legacy ID: 240947
Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Electoral Ward/Division: East Retford West
Built-Up Area: Retford
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Retford Team
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/02/2013
SK 7081 SW 1/134
THE SQUARE (South Side)
(Formerly listed under MARKET SQUARE)
Dated 1867, opened 1868 architects Bellamy and Hardy of Lincoln. 2 storeys in
ashlar with fish-scale covered roof with 1 circular dormer in wood ornamental
frame with finial. Wood clock tower with pediments to 4 faces, octagonal bell-cote,
weathervane. Side roofs of French chateau style with iron frieze. Balustraded
parapet with carved finials. Side wings break forward. Modillion eaves cornice.
1st floor has 1-3-1 windows, round arches, the outer windows with foliated keystones
and marble corner pilasters. Curved balconies to 3 centre windows. Ground floor
has 3 segmental-headed windows and 2 entrances, 1 to yard, with paired columns.
Town Hall, 4 lamp standards and the Broad Stone form a group.
Listing NGR: SK7049181104
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings