History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gringley on the Hill, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4077 / 53°24'27"N

Longitude: -0.8943 / 0°53'39"W

OS Eastings: 473598

OS Northings: 390666

OS Grid: SK735906

Mapcode National: GBR QY61.55

Mapcode Global: WHFFX.7LCY

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 1 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1370395

English Heritage Legacy ID: 241130

Location: Gringley on the Hill, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN10

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Gringley on the Hill

Built-Up Area: Gringley on the Hill

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Gringley-on-the-Hill

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Gringley on the Hill

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/02/2013


SK 79 SW
5/48
1.2.67


GRINGLEY ON THE HILL
HIGH STREET (south side)
Church of St. Peter and St.Paul


G.V. II*

Parish Church, C13, C14, C15, C16, C17, C18, C19: south aisle
1910-12 for Rev. Charles Bailey. West tower, north aisle nave,
chancel, south aisle. Ashlar, partly rendered and pebbledashed,
some irregularly coursed and some coursed squared rubble; ashlar
dressings, slate roofs. West tower, 2 stages, has 2 string
courses, moulded crenellated parapet, 4 crocketed pinnacles. To
west, 2 diagonal buttresses, 2 setoffs plus plinth. To south,
single chamfered rectangular light. To west chamfered C14
doorway with close boarded door; above, C14 splayed and
chamfered opening with coved hood mould, containing restored C16
triple lancet with panel tracery. To right, 2 rectangular and
one trefoil lights to stair. To north, blocked round headed
Norman doorway. Second stage has 4 C14 coved and splayed
openings with coved hood moulds containing cusped head double
lancet louvred bell openings with panel tracery. North aisle,
C15 and 1720, 4 bays, has plinth, moulded string course, moulded
eaves band and parapet. Pair of angle buttresses to east, single
diagonal buttress to west, 2 setoffs, 3 intermediate buttresses,
2 setoffs. West window early C20, segmental headed opening with
coved hood mould, containing triple lancet with cusped heads and
Decorated tracery. North side has, to west, elaborate moulded
doorcase, late C17, with keystone and scrolled brackets to hood,
containing close boarded north door. To east, 3 square headed,
cove moulded openings, the central with 4, the outer with 3 C16
round headed lancets with chamfered mullions. East end has
square headed chamfered opening containing C16 round headed
triple lancet; above, datestone inscribed RF.SH 1720. Nave, 3
bays, has to north moulded parapet and to south, moulded eaves
band and parapet, rendered; 3 square headed C15 chamfered and
splayed openings with ogee headed cusped double lancets. Coped
gable with cross. Chancel, 2 bays, ashlar with ashlar quoins,
rendered, has coped gable with cross and slate roof. East window
C19, coved and moulded opening containing C15 style cusped ogee
head triple lancet with panel tracery. South side has 2 C15
square headed chamfered openings with hood moulds, each
containing cusped ogee headed triple lancet. South aisle, 1910-
12, 4 bays, irregularly coursed ashlar, 5 buttresses, 2 setoffs.
West bay blank; to east, roll moulded pointed arched doorway
with roll moulded hood containing close boarded door. To east, 2
square headed coved and rebated openings, each with cusped head
triple lancet with coved mullions. To west, similar coved and
rebated square headed opening with coved and chamfered hood mould
containing double ogee headed lancet with coved mullions. Tower
arch, C13, double chamfered and rebated haskeeled responds with
octagonal caps; C20 oak screen with elliptical central arch,
carved spandrels and balustered panel each side; above, parapet
with turned balusters to ringing chamber. Nave north arcade,
C13, 3 bays, with round piers with water holding bases on
chamfered square plinths, and plain octagonal capitals. Keeled
responds with octagonal caps. Double chamfered and rebated
arches with plain hood moulds. South arcade, 1910-12, 3 bays,
octagonal piers with moulded octagonal bases and capitals and
half pier responds. Double chamfered and rebated arches with
coved hood moulds. Roof, C19, low pitched, with some earlier
timber. Curved brackets from corbels to tie beams, principal
timbers moulded. 4 carved bosses including one mask. Font, C20,
octagonal, on earlier chamfered octagonal plinth with traceried
panels. Pulpit C20 timber, panelled; painted wooden eagle
lectern; C20 chairs. North aisle and north aisle chapel,
rendered. All splayed window openings. Splayed opening to
north door. East window of north side has stained glass, 1926;
east window stained glass, 1924. Roof, C20, incorporating some
C15 timber, straight struts to principal rafters, moulded rafters
and purlins. To west, 5 classical style memorial tablets, 1805,
1811, 1818, 1826, 1834; 2 other tablets c.1900 and 1962. C20
chairs and 3 resited C19 pews with shaped ends. Chancel arch,
C13, double chamfered and rebated, octagonal imposts with mask
stops. Screen c.1912. Perpendicular style, 7 bays, central
opening with carved spandrels. Chancel has single bay, north
arcade, C14, with double chamfered and rebated arch with keeled
responds with chamfered square bases and octagonal capitals.
Attached to its north side, another arch, C13, double chamfered
and rebated with octagonal imposts. East window has splayed
square headed opening with roll moulding and coved mullions. In
south east corner, C13 pillar piscina with stiff-leaf decoration.
South windows have square headed splayed openings with chamfered
mullions; that to west has C19 stained glass. Roof, C20, with
moulded purlins. C20 benches and choir stalls. South aisle,
rendered. East window has splayed opening, 1920 stained glass
and war memorial plaque, 1945. South wall windows have segmental
headed cove moulded and splayed openings. South door has
chamfered and splayed opening, surrounded by panelled timber
screen. To west, moulded pointed arched doorway to vestry.


Listing NGR: SK7359890666


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 17 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.