History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Giles

A Grade II* Listed Building in Birtley, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0959 / 55°5'45"N

Longitude: -2.1927 / 2°11'33"W

OS Eastings: 387802

OS Northings: 577962

OS Grid: NY878779

Mapcode National: GBR F94J.21

Mapcode Global: WHB1R.953Q

Entry Name: Church of St Giles

Listing Date: 10 November 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1370467

English Heritage Legacy ID: 239550

Location: Birtley, Northumberland, NE48

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Birtley

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Birtley St Giles

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Wark

Listing Text

NY 87 NE BIRTLEY BIRTLEY VILLAGE

Church of St. Giles
9/15
II*
10.11.51

Parish church. C12 restored 1884. Dressed stone and random rubble. Welsh
slate roof. Nave, chancel, west porch and south-west tower. Chancel north
wall and nave masonry is C12. Most other external features Victorian including
west porch with pointed-arched doorway, multifoil rose window in west gable,
and south-west tower which is a square vestry on ground floor, becoming octagonal
with lancet bell openings and short octagonal spire.

3-bay nave has 3-light stepped cusped lancets on south side. Nave and chancel
north walls blank. Three plain stepped lancets on chancel south side. East
window is 3 stepped lancets under hoodmoulds.

Blocked priest's door and north door, probably early C17, are square-headed
with chamfered surround.

Interior has C12 unmoulded chancel arch on plain chamfered imposts. Pointed
arch to blocked priest's door. East window has shafts and shaft rings.
Inscribed stone on chancel north wall, C8, with a cross and letters ORPE.
Several medieval coffin lids built into west porch, also a plain medieval stoup.


Listing NGR: NY8780277962

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.