This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9673 / 54°58'2"N
Longitude: -1.8687 / 1°52'7"W
OS Eastings: 408502
OS Northings: 563635
OS Grid: NZ085636
Mapcode National: GBR HCD0.75
Mapcode Global: WHC3M.8DDV
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370472
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239477
Location: Ovingham, Northumberland, NE42
Civil Parish: Ovingham
Built-Up Area: Ovingham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Ovingham
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 0863 - 0963 OVINGHAM WEST ROAD
22/122 The Old Vicarage
House. Front block right bay C15, the rest mainly various C17 dates and early
C19 but probably with medieval core. Mainly squared stone with Welsh and stone
slate roof. 2 storeys. L-shaped. Front block has doorway right of centre.
4 later semicircular steps up to roundheaded door with moulded imposts and
pendant keystone. 2 windows left and one right, formerly 4-light mullioned but
now all but ground floor left are early C20 casements in original chamfered
reveals. Moulded ground floor string rising above door. Also first floor string.
This facade early/mid C17. On right return a 2-light C15 window with cusped
heads. Projecting wing to rear has date 1694 for Thomas Addison over door with
flattened Tudor arch in square chamfered surround. Also large projecting chimney
breast, partly renewed, projecting brick bread oven, one mullioned window and
various later windows. Rear of this wing has various C18-C20 sashes under C17
hoodmoulds. Rear of front block is early C19 thickening with 12- and 6-pane
sashes but incorporating a C17 two-storey porch with Tudor-arched doorway. Panel
above door in memory of John Bigge, killed 1919. Gabled roofs with one stone
corniced end stack, one similar ridge stack and 2 rebuilt stacks.
Interior has blocked, possibly late medieval, doorway with broadly-chamfered
surround and flat lintel with rounded shoulders. This has drawbar tunnels and
was probably an outside door. It is in right ground floor room with C15 window.
Large fireplace in centre ground floor room has flattened Tudor arch and plaster
reliefs of oak leaves inside fireplace. Further large segmental-headed fireplace
in former kitchen with nailhead on each voussoir. Early C19 staircase but stone
newel of former stair remains. Plaster frieze in upper room with pairs of
affronted dragons; and fleurs de lys in corners of ceiling.
The house was a cell of Hexham Abbey.
Three Jacobean Houses by H. Honeyman: Archeologia Aeliana 4thS. XXXI 1953
Listing NGR: NZ0850263635
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings