This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9758 / 54°58'33"N
Longitude: -2.018 / 2°1'4"W
OS Eastings: 398944
OS Northings: 564580
OS Grid: NY989645
Mapcode National: GBR GBBX.X3
Mapcode Global: WHB2D.Z669
Entry Name: Boundary Walls to North and North-West of Parish Hall
Listing Date: 24 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370541
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239957
Location: Corbridge, Northumberland, NE45
Civil Parish: Corbridge
Built-Up Area: Corbridge
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Corbridge with Halton and Newton Hall
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
CORBRIDGE ST HELEN'S STREET
NY 9864 (North Side)
21/196 Boundary walls to
north and north-west
of Parish Hall
Boundary walls, C18 and later but incorporating medieval fabric of St Helen's
Chapel. Rubble. Walls on north and west of the lawn behind the parish hall.
The west wall incorporates the lower part of the west end of a building c. 10
metres wide; the wall is c. 1 metre thick, stands to a height of 2 metres and
retains one cut quoin at the south-west angle.
The 1924 O.S. 6":1 mile map shows both north and west walls as the remains of
the chapel. If the north wall does incorporate ancient fabric it would seem
more likely to be part of a manor house which is known to have stood close to
the church. The east gable of the church stood until 1802.
Listing NGR: NY9894464580
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings