This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.9479 / 54°56'52"N
Longitude: -1.9282 / 1°55'41"W
OS Eastings: 404694
OS Northings: 561470
OS Grid: NZ046614
Mapcode National: GBR GCZ7.B3
Mapcode Global: WHB2G.CW1R
Entry Name: Bywell Hall
Listing Date: 20 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370556
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239831
Location: Bywell, Northumberland, NE43
Civil Parish: Bywell
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Bywell St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
23/70 Bywell Hall
Villa; 1766 by James Paine, altered and extended in late C19. Ashlar; graduated
Lakeland slate roofs. Neo-Palladian style. Original house: 2½ storeys, 3 wide
bays under pediment . Rusticated ground floor forming voussoirs to openings.
The ground floors of each bay project slightly, the centre bay more. Central
half-glazed double door with radial fanlight; flanking renewed 12-pane sashes.
Similar sashes in side bays under pedimented entablatures on brackets, flanked
by niches. Moulded plinth, 1st floor string and band above with balustraded
panels under windows. Giant Ionic Order, through upper floors in centre bay,
supports entablature with modillion cornice and pediment enclosing coat of arms
flanked by cornucopiae. 3 12-pane sashes on 1st floor under cornices, 3 low
lights above. In side bays similar single 1st-floor windows in segmental-pedimented
aedicules with swept feet. 6-pane windows above under floating cornices in
modillioned open pediments. Roof concealed behind blocking course; 2 corniced
stone ridge stacks.
Similar 3-bay returns, the right with an extra set-back entrance bay having door
in projecting panel; further 1-bay extension. Domestic ranges continue behind.
Interior: The original staircase has been removed and the hall area re-planned.
One ground floor room retains a carved marble fireplace and a Palladian
compartmented ceiling from the Paine period.
Listing NGR: NZ0469461470
Other nearby listed buildings