This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0288 / 55°1'43"N
Longitude: -2.1444 / 2°8'39"W
OS Eastings: 390865
OS Northings: 570484
OS Grid: NY908704
Mapcode National: GBR FBG9.J3
Mapcode Global: WHB1Z.1V3Q
Entry Name: Stable Block 200 Metres North of Chesters
Listing Date: 15 April 1969
Last Amended: 24 May 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370562
English Heritage Legacy ID: 239985
Location: Humshaugh, Northumberland, NE46
Civil Parish: Humshaugh
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Humshaugh St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
14/226 Stable block 200
15.4.69 metres north of
listed as Stables at
Stables, 1891 by Norman Shaw. Tooled snecked stone with ashlar dressings; red
tile roofs, with lead-domed wooden cupola on gatehouse. Ranges around square
yard with central gatehouse on south and open passage at north end of west
range to smaller walled yard with coach house to south-west. Modified Baroque
2 storeys, 9 bays, symmetrical. Gatehouse front, partly obscured with creeper,
has 4 wide rusticated pilasters with attached rusticated columns, at ends and
framing rusticated central 3-centred-arched entrance. 10-panel door in similar
surround on right. End pilasters terminate in shaped finials. Taller pedimented
centre is flanked by large swept brackets, and has end pilasters with carved
ornament, and two 2-light leaded windows. Ornate cupola on ridge has open
balustrade above clock, and swept dome with tall finial. Flanking 3-bay sections
have plinth, string broken forward over paired slit windows and moulded cornice.
Taller end bays have end pilasters, strings above and below triplets of 4-pane
windows (2 blind on right), cornice and shaped gables with keyed oeil-de-boeuf
windows with latticed glazing under small pediments.
Ranges around courtyard each single-storeyed except for projecting gabled 3-bay
centrepiece; those at sides have loggias with keyed round arches and three 4-pane
windows above; that at rear has ogee-headed doorway flanked by 4-pane casements.
Boarded pitching door flanked by slit vents and 4-light window in gable.
Single-storey parts have ogee-headed doorways, 4- and 6-pane windows, and round-
arched carriage entrances in north part of east range. Walled yard has south
gateway with banded rusticated piers; gabled coachhouse to left with boarded
doors under elliptical arch with slit above.
Listing NGR: NY9086570484
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings