This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1491 / 55°8'56"N
Longitude: -1.8141 / 1°48'50"W
OS Eastings: 411945
OS Northings: 583878
OS Grid: NZ119838
Mapcode National: GBR H8SX.10
Mapcode Global: WHC2P.3VD0
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 30 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370616
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238330
Location: Meldon, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Meldon
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Hartburn with Meldon
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 18 SW
15/97 Church of St. John
Parish church. Early C13, restored 1849. Roughly-squared stone in large blocks,
dressings; slate roof. Single-cell plan with C19 north vestry. Early English
style. Set-back angle buttresses, one unstepped buttress on each long wall.
West end: lancet window, coped gable with C19 bellcote in C13 style. South wall
has studded door with C19 floral ironwork in pointed chamfered arch with moulded
imposts and hood; and priest's door with similar ironwork under shouldered
chamfered arch. 5 lancets, that to east of south door a C19 copy. North wall
shows 3 lancets, the westernmost C19. East end has triplet of C19 lancets under
C13 pointed arch with hoodmould.
Interior: C13 pillar piscina on south of sanctuary, aumbry with old wooden door
further west; pointed recess, perhaps piscina, on north. North door similar to
south, now opening into vestry. Chancel has Cl9 painted panelled ceiling with
West of south door effigy of Sir William Fenwick, d.1652, C17 ledger slabs with
heraldry built into walls; elaborate C14-style mural recess on north of sanctuary
is tomb of Isaac Cookson (of Meldon Park) d.1851. Minton tiles in sanctuary.
Late C18/early C19 glass,with arms of local families,in several windows.
Listing NGR: NZ1194783877
Other nearby listed buildings