This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0508 / 55°3'2"N
Longitude: -1.7418 / 1°44'30"W
OS Eastings: 416590
OS Northings: 572955
OS Grid: NZ165729
Mapcode National: GBR JB81.P7
Mapcode Global: WHC39.69TT
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 28 April 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370736
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238827
Location: Ponteland, Northumberland, NE20
Civil Parish: Ponteland
Built-Up Area: Ponteland
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Ponteland St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
PONTELAND NORTH ROAD
NZ 1672 (East Side)
27/333 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C12 - C15. Restored 1810, 1851 by Wardle, 1861 by F.R. Wilson
and again in 1881. Squared sandstone and Welsh slate roof. West tower, nave,
with aisles and porch, transepts and chancel.
Tower: C12. West door with one order of columns and chevron moulding in the
arch. 2 small original windows above. Several other C12 windows on returns
also several C14 cusped windows. Bell stage added C14.
Nave and aisles. 3 bays. Vestiges of C12 masonry; extended C13 (see masonry
at west end) and again in C15. South aisle has two 3-light segmental-headed
Perpendicular windows. South porch C13, reset; slightly-pointed doorway;
pointed tunnel vault inside with 3 chamfered transverse ribs. North aisle
rebuilt 1810 using old masonry. Low parapets and shallow,pitched roofs.
Transpets: South transept rebuilt late C15 with Perpendicular east window.
North transept C13, the gable rebuilt in C19; 3 tall lancets on north and east
Chancel: Long C13 chancel withchamferedsill string rising to form hoodmould
over segmental priest's door. 2 original lancets on north side, C14 Decorated
Interior: C15 south arcade with octagonal piers and double-chamfered arches
dying into imposts. Similar north arcade of 1810. C13 chancel arch has re-cut
corbels of Adam and Eve, before the fall on the south, after the fall on the
north. North transept north windows have shouldered rere-lintels; the east
windows have shouldered rere-arches. C14 glass fragments in chancel window
heads. Trefoiled piscina in frame of dogtooth.
Many wall monuments, including:- Richard Newton Ogle, 1794 by Coade; John Dixon,
1716 - extremely rustic; Anne Byne,mother, and Anne Byne, daughter 1769 and
no date,with interesting inscriptions.
Listing NGR: NZ1658872956
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings