This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0355 / 55°2'7"N
Longitude: -1.8547 / 1°51'16"W
OS Eastings: 409385
OS Northings: 571230
OS Grid: NZ093712
Mapcode National: GBR HBH6.8Q
Mapcode Global: WHC37.HP1K
Entry Name: Cheeseburn Grange
Listing Date: 27 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370742
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238848
Location: Stamfordham, Northumberland, NE18
Civil Parish: Stamfordham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Stamfordham
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
STAMFORDHAM CHEESEBURN GRANGE
NZ 07 SE
15/361 Cheeseburn Grange
Country house. 1813 by John Dobson for Mr. Riddel. Older core. Large additions
on east side by J.A. Hanson c.1860 were demolished c.1973 under supervision of
P. Elphick. Ashlar with Lakeland slate roof. Tudor-Gothic style. 2 storeys
plus attics, 5 x 3 bay front block with 2 lower projecting wings to rear.
3-bay entrance side has taller castellated centre bay. Moulded plinth.
Castellated porch with Tudor-arched doorway. Above is a tall 5-light window
with 2 transoms, pointed-arched heads to lights, and hoodmould. Centre bay
flanked by buttresses which rise to form corniced turrets above central tower.
Flanking bays have tripartite windows under hoodmoulds. Addition to left of
one tall storey, one bay, has 3-light mullioned-and-transomed chapel window
with arched heads to lights. Tall parapet with 4-light pierced panels of Gothic
tracery above each bay. Hipped roof with octagonal ridge stacks of 5 conjoined
shafts with castellated tops.
Right return: 5 bays with tripartite windows in Tudor-arched recesses with
floating cornices. Boldly moulded top cornice. Similar parapet.
Interior: Open-well stair, the lower parts, possibly by Hanson, have twist
balusters and beasts on the newels; the upper part Dobson with little Gothick
pointed arches. Chapel by Dobson has panelled ceiling on 5 moulded Tudor
arches with decorative corbels; open-work Gothic reredos. Library has built-in
Gothic book shelves.
In the cellar, walling 8 ft. thick; also an early C17 doorway with multi-moulded
surround. Shallow, segmental iron-vaulted ceiling.
Listing NGR: NZ0938571230
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings