This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.1635 / 55°9'48"N
Longitude: -1.7426 / 1°44'33"W
OS Eastings: 416498
OS Northings: 585489
OS Grid: NZ164854
Mapcode National: GBR J88Q.JV
Mapcode Global: WHC2Q.6GGZ
Entry Name: The Tower House
Listing Date: 29 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370759
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238946
Location: Mitford, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Mitford
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Mitford St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/05/2016.
Mitford Hall Drive
The Tower House
(Formerly listed as: Mitford Hall east wing and Conservatory)
East wing and conservatory of country house, c.1820 for Mitford family by John Dobson, detached from house by demolition of north east wing in C20. Ashlar, except for squared tooled stone to rear. Welsh slate roof to wing, glass roof to conservatory.
South elevation: wing in 2 sections. Left part 2 storeys, 3 bays. Plinth, eaves cornice. No ground floor windows; 1st floor 20 pane sashes except that to left which is blocked (left bay is only screen wall since demolition). Hipped roof. Right bay is 3-storey tower; plinth, 2nd floor string, eaves cornice. Blocked door in architrave with 24-pane sash above and 20-pane sash on second floor. Pyramidal roof with rendered lateral stack on left. Conservatory set forward to right, 7 bays. Plinth. Tuscan pilasters between bays and at angles; glazing renewed; hipped roof. 5-bay left return with central half-glazed door.
Listing NGR: NZ1649885489
Other nearby listed buildings