History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hexham Railway Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Hexham, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9735 / 54°58'24"N

Longitude: -2.0949 / 2°5'41"W

OS Eastings: 394024

OS Northings: 564324

OS Grid: NY940643

Mapcode National: GBR FBTX.8Y

Mapcode Global: WHB2C.S8M2

Entry Name: Hexham Railway Station

Listing Date: 22 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1370815

English Heritage Legacy ID: 239242

Location: Hexham, Northumberland, NE46

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Hexham

Built-Up Area: Hexham

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Hexham

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Hexham

Listing Text

STATION ROAD
1.
5334 Hexham Railway Station

NY 9464 10/401

II GV

2.

Railway Station, comprising Station House, offices, rooms and canopy over south
platform, footbridge, north platform wall and canopy over. Centre section of
south range 1835 by John Blackmore for the Newcastle and Carlisle Railway Co.,
extended in the 1840s and 1850s by Peter Tate. Further extensions in the 1860s
and 1870s by Thomas Prosser for the North Eastern Railway, and by William Bell in
1881 and 1901 for the same Company. Local sandstone ashlar, later parts with
alternating-block quoins and dressings. Purple slate roofs, stone stacks, terra-
cotta pots; some glazed roof areas. Cast iron platform canopies, wrought iron
bridge. Earlier buildings in Tudor style, extensions in the later periods
classical but incorporating some original features and blending well. Projecting
central 2-storey house and flanking 1-storey ranges. House: raised from 1 storey
in 1881 using the original gable details. 2 gabled bays to forecourt, the right
lower. Sash windows with glazing bays in chamfered surrounds. Ground floor
concealed by outbuilding projection. Big stacks on left gable peak and in valley,
the latter with corniced hexagonal shafts. 2-bay right return has modern door in
plain surround in left bay and sash windows in gabled half dormer. Taller right
bay has paired sashes below, single sash above and a coped square finial block to
the gable. Openings in plain stone surrounds. 2-bay left return has blank right
bay. On ground floor left a hip-roofed canted bay window with vertical sashes, an
original 1835 feature re-sited from the right return in the 1850s. Similar square
finial block to this gabled bay. To right of house a 4-bay booking hall with left
pedestrian and vehicle entrances, both with panelled double doors. 2 display
windows on right; flat roof. Further right a hip-roofed 3-bay goods office with
12-pane top-opening lights in quoined surrounds. 4-panel door with overlight in
left return. To left of house 2 hip-roofed pavilions with short glazed links,
have sash windows in eared and shouldered chamfered surrounds. Platform elevation
shows 5-bay office and booking hall to left of entrance. Double door in third
bay, single with sidelights to booking office, quoined windows. Flat-arched
vehicle entrance to right. Booking office dates from 1850s, goods office from
1901. To right of entrance a kiosk (the former booking office) and a continuous
9-bay frontage in which the original Tudor features of chamfered openings with
double-chamfered hoodmoulds have been retained or re-used. The projecting left
bay, now a waiting room, has a double door and is part of the original fabric.
Weathering of removed canopy visible above. Present canopy, 1870-71 by
Thomas Prosser; cast'iron columns support open cast iron panels forming arch
braces to tie beams with king and queen posts to roof with glazed centre. Similar
but narrower canopy over north platform where only the back wall and a small wait-
ing room remain from an earlier range of buildings. Linking the platforms at the
east end a typical footbridge of the 1870s: stairs and deck supported on 2 big
arches with ring braces in the spandrels. Latticed parapet rail with console
curved stanchions. Interiors: Ladies' waiting room of 1860s has original fire-
place with arched cast iron grate, chimneypiece of polished local crinoidal
carboniferous limestone; and overmantel mirror. Dado rail and panelled window
bay. Plainer stone fireplace, with square cast iron grate, in general waiting
room. V.R. letterbox in waiting room wall. Booking hall has 2 ticket windows of
gothic style with roll-moulded 2-centred arches and quoined jambs. Modern
entrance canopy is not of special interest.


Listing NGR: NY9402464324

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.