History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Orchard House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hexham, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9705 / 54°58'13"N

Longitude: -2.0974 / 2°5'50"W

OS Eastings: 393862

OS Northings: 563986

OS Grid: NY938639

Mapcode National: GBR FBSZ.Q0

Mapcode Global: WHB2C.RBFF

Entry Name: Orchard House

Listing Date: 2 October 1951

Last Amended: 30 May 2002

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1370826

English Heritage Legacy ID: 239202

Location: Hexham, Northumberland, NE46

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Hexham

Built-Up Area: Hexham

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Hexham

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Hexham

Listing Text


709/2/60 PRIESTPOPPLE
02-OCT-51 (North side)
ORCHARD HOUSE

(Formerly listed as:
PRIESTPOPPLE
ORHARD HOUSE)
(Formerly listed as:
PRIEST POPPLE
48
Orchard House and)

GV II*

House, now office and veterinary surgery. c. 1825. 2 storeys. Built around a courtyard to the road, closed by a low wall with central gate piers and cast iron gates. Recessed centre (south front) has 2 windows, east wing has single window over projecting porch.
South front ashlar, right wing rendered with some raised quoins. Moulded eaves cornice. Sash windows: marginal glazing bar sashes to south front, glazing bar sashes to east. Porch in north east corner closed, with Ionic portico with entablature to west and a niche to south.
Double span gable to east wing which has 3 chimneys, a kneeler with a plaster lion couchant and a single window to left. North front to east wing has front brick with chamfered quoins, kneelers and rusticated headstones. Later 4 light bay to right.
Rear: ashlar at back of centre portion, which also has an Ionic portico.

Nos 14 to 46 (even) and Orchard House form a group, of which Nos 14 to 18, 26 to 34
and 42 to 46 and 44A are of local interest.

Listing NGR: NY9386263986

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.