This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.7296 / 55°43'46"N
Longitude: -1.9854 / 1°59'7"W
OS Eastings: 401015
OS Northings: 648463
OS Grid: NU010484
Mapcode National: GBR G2K5.ZY
Mapcode Global: WH9YR.G7SZ
Entry Name: Engine House at Scremerston Old Mine
Listing Date: 18 August 1975
Last Amended: 11 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370957
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237902
Location: Ancroft, Northumberland, TD15
Civil Parish: Ancroft
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Scremerston St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
Colliery winding-engine house, 1840.
Colliery winding-engine house for a beam engine. 1840 for the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital. Dressed stone. Roofless..
2-storeys, 3 bays. Boarded door to left in alternating-block surround has fanlight with intersecting glazing bars. Windows have mainly lost their joinery.
Projecting chimney base on south side has no openings except 2 low, round, blocked brick arches at ground level.
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/06/2014.
Formerly listed as Scremerstone Old Mine.
The Jack Tar pit at Scremerston Colliery (originally known as Greenwich Colliery) was sunk in 1840. In 1873 it was being worked by the Scremerston and Shoreswood Coal Co. (previously Messrs Johnson and Carr) but closed in 1878. It was re-opened in 1913 but it does not appear that any coal was produced.
Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.
Other nearby listed buildings