History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edward (Roman Catholic) and Attached School

A Grade II Listed Building in Lowick, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.6501 / 55°39'0"N

Longitude: -1.9817 / 1°58'54"W

OS Eastings: 401246

OS Northings: 639618

OS Grid: NU012396

Mapcode National: GBR G3L3.RF

Mapcode Global: WH9Z4.J7JW

Entry Name: Church of St Edward (Roman Catholic) and Attached School

Listing Date: 15 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1370961

English Heritage Legacy ID: 237813

Location: Lowick, Northumberland, TD15

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Lowick

Built-Up Area: Lowick

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Lowick and Kyloe St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Lowick

Listing Text

NU 0139 LOWICK MAIN STREET
(North side)


13/105 Church of St. Edward
(Roman Catholic) and
attached school
GV II

Church with attached schoolroom and schoolmaster's house. 1861 by Stevenson
of Berwick. Random rubble with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof.

Church to rear and right with school projecting on left.

Church: Nave, chancel, south porch and north chapel. Long 3-bay nave has
central gabled porch with cusped round window. Door on right return. Flanking
2-light windows with Geometric tracery. 1-bay chancel forms cross stroke of
T, like transepts. 3-light window with cusped heads.

School has 3-light windows with square-topped shouldered heads.

Steeply-pitched roofs with coping, kneelers, decorative slate work and fleurs-
de-lys ridge tiles.

On left return of school a 4-bay facade with gabled 1/2-dormers.

Interior: stoup in porch dated HAE Said to have come from Haggerston Castle.
1693 .
West gallery on cast-iron columns with wrought-iron brackets.


Listing NGR: NU0124639618

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.