This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6311 / 55°37'52"N
Longitude: -2.1735 / 2°10'24"W
OS Eastings: 389172
OS Northings: 637520
OS Grid: NT891375
Mapcode National: GBR F38B.77
Mapcode Global: WH9Z1.LQ6G
Entry Name: Marmion's Well
Listing Date: 10 March 1988
Last Amended: 8 November 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1370970
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237971
Location: Branxton, Northumberland, TD12
Civil Parish: Branxton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Branxton St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NT 83 NE,
Well. Reconstructed late C19 for Louisa, Marchioness of Waterford. Ashlar
slab c. 4ft high with a round-arched hole in the bottom. Set within the
arch a round stone basin. The slab is carved with a cross and inscribed with
a quotation from Sir Walter Scott's 'Marmion':
Drink weary pilgrim drink and pray
For the kind soul of Sybil Grey
Who built this cross and well.
Scott used the original well on this site as a setting for Marmion. Lady
Waterford would conduct rides of her guests to it.
Hastings Neville; Under a Border Tower: Newcastle: 1896.
Listing NGR: NT8917237520
Stone well, 1935.
MATERIALS: sandstone and sandstone ashlar.
DESCRIPTION: the well is situated immediately to the west of Branxton Village, within a road verge. The well head comprises an upright stone slab about 1.2m high with a large round-arched opening; the upper slab is inscribed with the outline of a Latin cross and Celtic interlace design above the arch. The face of the upright slab is inscribed with a quotation from Sir Walter Scott's poem 'Marmion' (Canto 6, stanza XXX):
'Drink weary pilgrim drink and pray/For the kind soul of Sybil Grey/Who built this cross and well.'
Set within the arch is a round stone basin and set at the base is a rectangular stone basin.
A well at this location in Branxton is believed to have existed since at least the C19. It was described in 1911 as being a simple trough below a spring. In 1912 plans emerged to build a fountain at the site with the intention of commemorating, at a more convenient location, an earlier well on Flodden Hill erected by the Marchioness of Waterford that was romantically associated with Sir Walter Scot's poem 'Marmion'. An appeal was launched to raise £100 but the plan did not materialise. The present well-head dates from about 1935 and was constructed by Colonel Gerard Leather and built by Pattersons of Branxton.
The quotation inscribed on the face of the well head is from Sir Walter Scott's poem 'Marmion' in which the fictional knight, mortally wounded at the Battle of Flodden in 1513, is brought refreshment from a local spring.
Marmion's Well is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* An attractive and well-executed stone well incorporating a Latin cross and Celtic interlace decoration.
* A C19 or earlier spring head which became romantically associated with Sir Walter Scott's poem 'Marmion' and the Battle of Flodden.
* With the Battle of Flodden registered battlefield, in which it is situated, and the Grade II-listed Church of St Paul.
Other nearby listed buildings