This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.6302 / 55°37'48"N
Longitude: -2.0894 / 2°5'21"W
OS Eastings: 394466
OS Northings: 637402
OS Grid: NT944374
Mapcode National: GBR F3VB.FK
Mapcode Global: WH9Z2.WR66
Entry Name: Church of St Michael and All Angels
Listing Date: 21 September 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371006
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238064
Location: Ford, Northumberland, TD15
Civil Parish: Ford
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Ford And Etal
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
FORD FORD VILLAGE
17/97 Church of St.
21.9.51 Michael and
Parish church. C13, extensively restored 1853 by John Dobson. Squared stone;
nave has Welsh slate roof, chancel clay tile roof. Nave with aisles, south
porch, chancel and north vestry; west bellcote.
Three-bay nave with porch to left. Each bay has pair of lancets; drip moulds
with head stops, the detail of 1853. South-west and south-east angle buttresses
are medieval; the eastern one has two trefoiled niches. North aisle of 1853.
West projection rising to monumental 2-tier bellcote, with paired lancet bell
openings on 1st tier and single lancet above, stone pyramidal roof. Window to
north of projection is an original lancet.
Five-bay chancel has C19 lancets with head stops. Three-light Geometric east
Interior: early C13 two-bay south arcade has round piers and bases, octagonal
capitals and pointed double-chamfered arches; west pier has dogtooth. Octagonal
responds, the west respond with a C13 head stop. North arcade and chancel arch
by Dobson. West lancet has shouldered rere-arch. Trefoiled piscina in south-
east corner of nave. Six medieval grave slabs or parts of slabs set in floor
at west end of nave. Elaborate Decorated stone reredos of 1892 by W.S. Hicks.
War memorial of c.1920 in coloured marble with ceramic picture of St. George.
Northumberland County History: Volume XI.
Listing NGR: NT9446637402
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 21 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings