History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Angerton Hall and Attached Wall to North-East

A Grade II Listed Building in Hartburn, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1599 / 55°9'35"N

Longitude: -1.8535 / 1°51'12"W

OS Eastings: 409431

OS Northings: 585073

OS Grid: NZ094850

Mapcode National: GBR H8HS.J4

Mapcode Global: WHC2N.HKLQ

Entry Name: Angerton Hall and Attached Wall to North-East

Listing Date: 6 May 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371034

English Heritage Legacy ID: 238275

Location: Hartburn, Northumberland, NE61

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Hartburn

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Hartburn with Meldon

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Hartburn

Listing Text

HARTBURN HIGH ANGERTON
NZ 0985
19/37 Angerton Hall and
attached wall to
6.5.52 north-east
GV (Formerly listed under
Civil Parish of High
Angerton)
II
Country House, 1842, by John Dobson. North-east wing c.1920, (west (servants')
wing demolished 1957). Attached garden wall 1904 by Lutyens. Squared stone
with tooled and margined dressings; slate roofs. Irregular plan, Tudor Gothic
style. South front 2 storeys, 3 bays. Central wide bay has canted ground-
floor bay window with brattished cornice; 1st floor has central 2-light windows
flanked by narrower windows. Embattled parapet, 2 stepped and corniced ridge
stacks with quadripartite shafts. Flanking projecting gabled bays have 4-light
ground floor and 3-light 1st floor windows,with transoms, and slits in the
gables; moulded gable coping and finials. Entrance (north) front shows projecting
gabled porch with moulded 4-centred arch beneath dated armorial carving; to left a
projecting north-east wing built in facsimile of C19 parts, and beyond an
attached wall with door to garden: oak with ornamental hinges and latchplate,
in broad double-chamfered surround. To right of porch a small gabled stair wing,
to far right, ground floor walls of west wing remain as screen. East (garden)
front 2+1+3 bays; projecting gabled porch has 4-centred window beneath tall
3-light transomed window with leaded glazing.

Interior: Gothic entrance hall with coffered ceiling and ornamental bosses.


Listing NGR: NZ0943185073

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.