This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.423 / 55°25'22"N
Longitude: -1.7045 / 1°42'16"W
OS Eastings: 418802
OS Northings: 614382
OS Grid: NU188143
Mapcode National: GBR J5JQ.ST
Mapcode Global: WHC1C.SYJJ
Entry Name: Ruins of St Leonard's Hospital
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371058
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236369
Location: Denwick, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Denwick
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnwick
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
DENWICK A 1068
NU 11 SE
10/32 Ruins of St.
Hospital ruins, c.1200 re-erected c.1845 by F.R. Wilson. Squared stone and
rubble with cut dressings. Hall with narrower chapel to east and other
buildings (now grassed-over foundations) on south. Part of south wall of hall
stands with round-arched doorway showing continuous chevron moulding, and
indented hood; north jamb and a few moulded voussoirs of hall/chapel arch.
Hospital founded between 1193 and 1216 by Eustace de Vescy; annexed to Alnwick
Abbey 1376. Buried remains rediscovered when the field was ploughed in 1845,
and re-erected on original footings.
SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT
Listing NGR: NU1880214382
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings