History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mill Cottage with Attached Outbuildings North of Lemmington Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Edlingham, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3958 / 55°23'44"N

Longitude: -1.8105 / 1°48'37"W

OS Eastings: 412097

OS Northings: 611328

OS Grid: NU120113

Mapcode National: GBR H6S1.TL

Mapcode Global: WHC1J.5M3W

Entry Name: Mill Cottage with Attached Outbuildings North of Lemmington Hall

Listing Date: 25 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371075

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236465

Location: Edlingham, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Edlingham

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Edlingham

Listing Text

EDLINGHAM LEMMINGTON HALL
NU 11 SW
9/124 Mill Cottage
with attached
outbuildings north
of Lemmington Hall
GV II

Coach-house, stable and kennel, now as laundry, cottage and storerooms. Late
C18 remodelled 1915. Tooled or tooled-and-margined stone with concrete infill
and later snecked stone; graduated stone flag roofs with stone ridges. 1
storey, in 3 sections. Left kennel section, with parapet front, has 3 ledged
and boarded doors, an inserted quasi-medieval window and a pointed fixed light
above the central door. Small kennel enclosure at left with wrought-iron
railing on dwarf wall. Central 5-bay section has garage doors in 4th bay; 3
left bays originally open, now infilled and with large C20 casements. Central
raised parapet on console brackets with date 1915. 2 lion masks attached at
eaves. Right bay incorporated into added projecting cottage with 2 bays on
inner return. Studded plank door with interlaced overlight; 2- and 3-light
casement windows, those to new wing in rock-faced surrounds; 2 more lion masks
between them. Inserted Venetian window with interlaced head in end wall.
1 small stepped-and-banded ridge stack.

Included for group value.


Listing NGR: NU1209711328

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.