History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Column 410 Metres South East of Lemmington Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Edlingham, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3925 / 55°23'32"N

Longitude: -1.806 / 1°48'21"W

OS Eastings: 412388

OS Northings: 610964

OS Grid: NU123109

Mapcode National: GBR H6T2.TR

Mapcode Global: WHC1J.7Q8F

Entry Name: Column 410 Metres South East of Lemmington Hall

Listing Date: 31 December 1969

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371077

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236472

Location: Edlingham, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Edlingham

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Edlingham

Listing Text

1EDLINGHAM LEMMINGTON HALL
NU 11 SW NU 12381096
9/131 Column 410 metres
south-east of
31.12.69 Lemmington Hall
GV II*

Monumental Column, erected in 1786 by Sir John Soane, for James Evelyn as a
memorial to his parents. Originally at Felbridge Park (Surrey), re-sited 1928
by Sir Stephen Aitchison. Column ashlar, on platform of roughly-squared stone.

Low square platform incorporating a variety of C17/18 architectural fragments.
Column has plain square plinth and moulded circular base encircled by self-
swallowing serpent; smooth tapering shaft. Capital with scrolled necking
carrying corniced square block. Cylindrical altar with curved fluting above
bears eternal flame; overall height c.15 metres.

Various inscriptions; dedication on north side of shaft:

JACOBUS EVELYN Filius EDWARD EVELYN
Et Juliae,Uxoris Ejus
(O' Benignissimi Parentes,)
Hanc Columnam,
Hac Terra. (Natale Solum)
Ponendam
Plentissime Gratissimeque
Curavit
D MDCCLXXXVI
Johannes Soane
Architectus
U.B.

Also 14 verses of Addison's 'Hymn to Gratitude', 'Manners Makyth Man' on drum
and 'Soli Deo Gloria' on entablature.

One of Sir John Soane's early commissions, and his only work in Northumberland.
It was transported north in 1927/8 by sea, rail and a specially-constructed
light electric railway; lettering on shaft recut in 1941.

Margaret Hudson, 'Soane's Gratitude in Stone', Country Life, Aug. 31 1978,
592-3.


Listing NGR: NU1238810964

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.