History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Branton and Glanton United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Glanton, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4244 / 55°25'27"N

Longitude: -1.8923 / 1°53'32"W

OS Eastings: 406912

OS Northings: 614504

OS Grid: NU069145

Mapcode National: GBR H57Q.3B

Mapcode Global: WHB04.XX2G

Entry Name: Branton and Glanton United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 25 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371089

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236557

Location: Glanton, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Glanton

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Whittingham and Edlingham with Bolton Chapel

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Glanton

Listing Text

GLANTON WEST TURNPIKE
NU 0614
(South side)
Glanton Village.
20/213 Branton and Glanton
United Reformed Church
II

United Reformed Church, formerly Presbyterian. 1783; porch and stair projection
1912 by George Reavell of Alnwick. C18 part squared stone with cut dressings.
1912 extension tooled squared stone with ashlar dressings. Welsh slate roof
with timber belfry under lead cap. 1783 building a simple rectangular preaching
box.

North elevation, to street; 1912 extension in 2 sections. Tall plinth. Lower
right part has half-glazed double doors in lugged architrave flanked by 2-light
windows with projecting sills and blocks beneath; moulded cornice broken
forward above door, and flat-coped parapet. Stair projection on left has broad
rusticated angle pilasters and arched window in shouldered and lugged architrave
with triple keystone; open-pedimented gable. 1783 church above and behind
extension has slender raised pilasters at angles and 2 windows in raised stone
surrounds, that to left blocked and partly hidden by stair projection. Coped
gables on moulded kneelers; bellcote near left end of ridge has twin pointed-
arched openings and swept pyramidal cap with weathervane. Returns each show
angle pilasters linked by band at eaves level; keyed oculus (that on east with
clock) and cruciform loop in each gable; east end also shows central gallery
window in raised stone surround, above inserted window in tooled-and-margined
alternating-block surround. South elevation 4 bays, symmetrical. Centre bays
have tall arched windows in raised stone surrounds with imposts and keystones;
end bays have similar but shorter windows to both ground floor and gallery
levels; the lower ones originally doorways. All windows have 1912 leaded
glazing.

Interior: Panelled east gallery (remodelled 1912 using old material) on 2
round columns with moulded caps and bases carrying fluted frieze and modillion
cornice. Other woodwork all 1912; numbered pews with frames for pew-rent cards.
Wall tablet as World War I memorial.


Listing NGR: NU0691214504

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.