History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Peel with Attached Cartshed

A Grade II Listed Building in Thropton, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3149 / 55°18'53"N

Longitude: -1.9588 / 1°57'31"W

OS Eastings: 402711

OS Northings: 602314

OS Grid: NU027023

Mapcode National: GBR G6RZ.QK

Mapcode Global: WHB0P.WNDW

Entry Name: The Peel with Attached Cartshed

Listing Date: 21 October 1953

Last Amended: 25 August 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371107

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236666

Location: Thropton, Northumberland, NE65

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Thropton

Built-Up Area: Thropton

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Snitter

Listing Text

THROPTON THROPTON VILLAGE
NU 00 SW
(South side)
16/320 The Peel, with
attached cartshed
21.10.53 (Formerly listed
as Thropton Bastle)
GV II

Bastle house, C16 or early Cl7, altered 1863. Large irregular rubble with cut
dressings and heavy roughly-shaped quoins; cartshed rubble with tooled
dressings. Welsh slate roof with C20 white brick stacks. Rectangular plan:
12.2 x 7.1 metres externally, with walls 1.50 metres thick. South elevation
3 storeys, 2 irregular bays: ground-floor windows of 1863 with rough-faced
lintels and sills. Blocked slit between and traces of blocked opening on far
left. 1st-floor windows in C18 tooled block surrounds; 3 small 2nd floor
windows, the central with old chamfered surround and bar holes; all windows
now C20 4-pane casements. Coped gables with stepped end stacks. West end
shows traces of blocked 1st-floor window under relieving arch, and chamfered
2nd-floor loop. East end (now internal wall) shows central blocked byre
entrance with rounded arrises to jambs and lintel and relieving arch above;
1st floor doorway above and to right has similar jambs and later head. North
elevation shows original chamfered loop with bar holes in centre and small
window, probably modification of an original loop, on right. To right is
attached cartshed with hipped roof; boarded door and double doors on right
return.

Interior: Ground floor has tall round-arched barrel vault, with original
ladder hole near south-east corner and central cut-away section for C19 stair.

A well-preserved bastle house, carefully restored in recent years. Formerly
known as West Farmhouse.

Late C20 extension to east is not of special interest.


Listing NGR: NU0271102314

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.