History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Divine

A Grade II Listed Building in Acklington, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3106 / 55°18'38"N

Longitude: -1.6435 / 1°38'36"W

OS Eastings: 422726

OS Northings: 601894

OS Grid: NU227018

Mapcode National: GBR J7Y1.Z3

Mapcode Global: WHC1Z.QSK5

Entry Name: Church of St John the Divine

Listing Date: 15 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371111

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236678

Location: Acklington, Northumberland, NE65

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Acklington

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Acklington St John the Divine

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Guyzance

Listing Text

ACKLINGTON ACKLINGTON VILLAGE
NU 20 SW (South side)
7/8 Church of St. John
the Divine
GV II

Parish Church. 1860 by James Deason, for the Duke of Northumberland. Snecked
tooled stone with ashlar dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roofs. 4-bay
nave with north and south porches; chancel with north vestry. C13 style.
Chamfered plinth with small trefoil vents beneath each window. West end shows
two 2-light windows with cinquefoiled round light above, flanked by large
stepped buttresses; single lancets to aisle ends. Steep gable, of lower pitch
above aisles, carrying tall gabled bellcote with twin pointed arches. Gabled
north and south porches with double-chamfered arches, the inner order on
colonnettes, and square-headed loops in returns; above arch of north porch an
ornate wrought-iron lamp bracket inscribed 'VICTORIA 1887'. Within porches
stone benches and similar inner doorways have boarded and-studded double doors
with foliate hinges. Single lancets to west of porches, paired lancets to
east; single lancet at east end of south aisle. 2-bay chancel with single and
paired trefoiled lancets in side walls, and 3 stepped lancets to east;
priest's door on south. Pent-roofed vestry has extruded canted east passage
with trefoil window and stone slab roof; tall chimneystack with moulded stone
top. Coped gables on moulded kneelers with panelled gablets; foliate finial
crosses on east gables.

Interior: Plastered. Double-chamfered nave arcades with hoodmoulds on
foliage boss stops; round piers with moulded capitals and bases. Similar
chancel arch on shafted jambs. High wagon roofs with ashlar pieces to rafter
feet. Tiled sanctuary. Stone pulpit with quatrefoil frieze and nailhead
cornice. Carved chancel screen as memorial to Sir Charles Stamp Milburn of
Guyzance, d. 1917.


Listing NGR: NU2272601894

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.