History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rothbury, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.309 / 55°18'32"N

Longitude: -1.9106 / 1°54'38"W

OS Eastings: 405772

OS Northings: 601657

OS Grid: NU057016

Mapcode National: GBR H731.4P

Mapcode Global: WHB0Q.MTDF

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 21 October 1953

Last Amended: 25 August 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371119

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236612

Location: Rothbury, Northumberland, NE65

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Rothbury

Built-Up Area: Rothbury

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Upper Coquetdale

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Rothbury

Listing Text

ROTHBURY CHURCH STREET
NU 0501
(East side)
25/267 Church of All Saints
(formerly listed as
21.10.53 Rothbury Church)
GV II*

Parish Church, on important Pre-Conquest site. Chancel and east walls of
transepts C13, chancel north arcade late C14; remainder 1849-50 by G. Pickering,
except for chancel vestries of 1887 and west window of 1900. Medieval parts
squared stone; C19 work tooled-and-margined stone with ashlar dressings;
graduated Lakeland slate roofs. 4-bay aisled nave with west tower flanked by
vestries, south-west porch, transepts with 2-bay western aisles and chancel
with north vestries. C19 parts in C13/early C14 style.

Chamfered plinths. 3-stage tower with stepped angle buttresses and south-west
stair turret. Studded west door with ornamental hinges and moulded arch on 3
orders of colonettes, under 2-light window. 2nd stage has 2 trefoiled lancets
on west and clock faces; belfry has 2-light windows with foiled circle in
spandrel, under multi-chamfered arches; embattled parapet. Stair turret has
shoulder-arched doorway at base and gabled top with pierced quatrefoil.
Aisles have stepped buttresses and lancet windows; clerestorey of paired
lancets. Porch has tall double-chamfered arch and paired lancets on east
return. Transepts have lancet windows; the three on the east of the south
transept are medieval, the narrower northern one being the east window of the
early C13 south aisle. South wall of chancel 3 bays, divided by stepped
buttresses, with central shoulder-arched priest's door; pairs of lancets,
those in west bay, along with adjacent buttress, being C19 restoration. East
end shows triplet of double-chamfered lancets. Coped gables with finial
crosses.

Interior: Plastered. Double-chamfered arcades on octagonal piers with moulded
capitals; similar responds, except for C13 shafted corbel with nail-head
ornament, at east end of south arcade. Double-chamfered tower arch. 1887
arch on C14 responds in east wall of north transept. C13 chancel arch of 2
continuous chamfered orders. 2-bay north chancel arcade, to former Cartington
chapel, of broad double-chamfered arches on low octagonal pier. Piscina with
wide cusped arch on south. C19 arch-braced collar-beam roofs on moulded
corbels.

Tiled sanctuary with panelled dado; arcaded stone reredos with marble shafts.
Richly-carved 1905 chancel screen and pulpit with saints under canopied niches.
1912 tower screen. Font: shaft is bottom part of important cross of c.800
with Ascension and inhabited vine scrolls; bowl dated 1664 with knotwork and
interlace; cover of 1914. Monuments: set in porch walls are 2 small C13/14
cross slabs and part of C12 gravestone or cross, and 1710 ledger stone to
Captain George Fletcher, 'High Sherrif' of Northumberland. On chancel north
wall mural monument to Rector John Tomlinson and Mary, 'the truly vertuous
Matron', his wife, c.1720. Several early C19 wall tablets in nave. Chancel
stained glass: 1886 crucifixion with B.V. Mary and St. John in east windows;
Northumbrian saints as memorial to Rev. Medd (d.1894) on south.

Historical note: the previous west tower, demolished in 1850, appears to have
been of Pre-Conquest, like that of Jarrow,linking two early churches; the
foundations of the western church, extending beneath and beyond Church Street
were traceable in the C18.


Listing NGR: NU0577201657

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.