This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.383 / 55°22'58"N
Longitude: -1.6136 / 1°36'49"W
OS Eastings: 424577
OS Northings: 609963
OS Grid: NU245099
Mapcode National: GBR K656.G4
Mapcode Global: WHC1M.5YVP
Entry Name: Ruined Chapel on West Side of Church Hill
Listing Date: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371145
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236891
Location: Alnmouth, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Alnmouth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Lesbury St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 20 NW NU 24580996 ALNMOUTH A 1068
(East side, off)
10/1 Ruined chapel on
west side of
Mortuary Chapel, 1870. Snecked rubble with roughly-tooled quoins and dressings,
except for ashlar south doorway. Roofless. Romanesque style. Small rectangular
building. South wall has doorway with chevron, pellets and zigzag ornaments;
upper parts of jamb shafts remain, with scalloped capitals. Round-arched
chamfered windows in south, west and north walls; similar paired lights in
east gable. Steeply-pitched gables with moulded kneelers and coping partly
Built 1869-70 at a cost of 177.6s.3d. raised by public subscription, as part
of a plan to re-open the cemetery on Church Hill (site of the ancient parish
church of St. Waleric, the remains of which were destroyed by the 1806 flood).
Included for historic interest.
Listing NGR: NU2457709963
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings