History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II Listed Building in Alnmouth, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.3884 / 55°23'18"N

Longitude: -1.6123 / 1°36'44"W

OS Eastings: 424658

OS Northings: 610563

OS Grid: NU246105

Mapcode National: GBR K654.Q6

Mapcode Global: WHC1M.6THJ

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 1 September 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371166

English Heritage Legacy ID: 236909

Location: Alnmouth, Northumberland, NE66

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Alnmouth

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Alnmouth St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Lesbury

Listing Text

NU 2410 ALNMOUTH NORTHUMBERLAND STREET
(East side)

20/19 Church of St. John
The Baptist

GV II

Parish church, 1876 with south chapel added 1880 to accommodate boys from
Seabank School. Snecked tooled stone with tooled ashlar quoins and dressings;
Welsh slate roofs, blue on nave and purple on eastern parts. Plan: Aisleless
4-bay nave with west tower over porch; chancel with transeptal south chapel,
north organ chamber/vestry and canted apse. Simple C13 style.

Chamfered plinth; 3-stage tower has stepped diagonal buttresses and chamfered
bands. On north and south are diagonally-boarded double doors, with foliate
hinges, under moulded arches with jamb shafts and foliage-carved hoodmould
stops; 2-light west window. 2nd stage has single lancets. Slatted belfry
openings with Y-tracery. Moulded brackets at square base of octagonal stone
spire with gabled lucarnes and moulded finial. Side walls of nave have
lancets, paired in end bays; stepped buttresses between. Coped east gable
on moulded kneelers, with ring-cross finial. South chapel has paired lancets
and slit in gable above. Apse has small angle buttresses and lancets with
moulded arches on jamb shafts with carved capitals; wrought-iron cross finial.
Organ chamber/vestry has diagonal buttresses and 2 lancets under gable with
cross finial; west diagonally-boarded door with foliate hinges.

Interior; Plastered. Double-chamfered chancel arch on carved corbels;
similar arches to south chapel and organ chamber/vestry. Panelled marble
dado to apse. Nave has arch-braced collar-beam roof on moulded corbels;
chancel has similar but painted roof on carved corbels. Octagonal moulded
font. Carved pulpit as memorial to Harold Kenyon Temperley, killed in
Flanders 1917. Kempe glass in apse windows; later C2O Evetts glass in nave
and west window.

Listing NGR: NU2465810563

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.