This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.3867 / 55°23'12"N
Longitude: -1.6117 / 1°36'42"W
OS Eastings: 424698
OS Northings: 610377
OS Grid: NU246103
Mapcode National: GBR K654.WT
Mapcode Global: WHC1M.6VST
Entry Name: The Hindmarsh Hall
Listing Date: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371168
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236915
Location: Alnmouth, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Alnmouth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Alnmouth St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 2410 ALNMOUTH NORTHUMBERLAND STREET
20/24 The Hindmarsh Hall
Village Hall. Originally early C18 granary, altered in mid C19. Street
front squared stone of near-ashlar quality; other elevations large rubble;
cut dressings. Welsh slate roof. C19 remodelling in plain C13 style.
Gable front to street. Central pair of pointed moulded doorways, left with
boarded double doors, right with C20 glazing, flanked by small inserted
windows. 4 short lancets above, and 2 taller lancets in gable, all with
leaded glazing. Coped gable on moulded kneelers has corbelled-out gabled
bellcote with pointed arch and moulded finial. Returns each show 2 stepped
buttresses, 2- and 3-light late C19 windows (central window on left return
set in older blocked arch) and 5 lancets higher in the wall; stepped-and-
corniced stack on left return. Rear gable end shows 2 lancets high in wall.
Right return and rear gable end also show blocked granary openings to 4 floor
levels; those to 1st floor have rough relieving arches above lintels.
Historical notes. Probably the earliest of the surviving Alnmouth granaries;
there is some evidence that it was converted to a corn exchange before
remodelling as an Anglican chapel in 1859; after the parish church was built
in 1876 it served as a village hall.
Listing NGR: NU2469810377
Other nearby listed buildings