This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.4498 / 55°26'59"N
Longitude: -1.6086 / 1°36'31"W
OS Eastings: 424853
OS Northings: 617398
OS Grid: NU248173
Mapcode National: GBR K56F.J6
Mapcode Global: WHC1F.887Y
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371184
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237016
Location: Longhoughton, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Longhoughton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Howick St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 2417 LONGHOUGHTON HOWICK HALL
16/125 Church of
Parish Church. 1746, remodelled with extension of nave one bay to east and
addition of chancel and vestry 1849 by F.J. Francis. Tooled-and-margined
ashlar with smooth ashlar dressings; synthetic stone slate roof. Five-bay
aisleless nave with chancel and south vestry. 1746 building Classical,
remodelled in Romanesque style.
Nave has moulded plinth and sill bands, impost bands on side walls and shafted
angle pilasters. West end has central boarded door, with studded margin and
ornate C-hinges, under round arch of 4 moulded orders; 3 orders of jamb shafts
with carved capitals. World War I memorial tablet on right of door. 2
windows above, with double-shafted jambs, and wheel window under round-arched
bellcote with finial cross. Side walls of nave have windows with double-
shafted jambs carrying moulded inner orders and C18 pilasters carrrying outer
order with zigzag. Eaves cornice on corbels, carved on north but unfinished
on south. Coincident joints in plinth and bands mark the 1849 extension.
Chancel has chamfered plinth, moulded sill string and shafted angles. East
end has three equal-height windows, with double-shafted jambs, and trefoiled
round window above. Lower vestry on south shows two-light south window and
moulded boiler-room door on east. On north of chancel a moulded priest's
door, and window with foliage-carved caps to jamb shafts. Coped gables on
moulded kneelers; finial crosses.
Interior plastered. Moulded chancel arch on detached shafts with carved bases,
shaft rings and foliage-carved caps. All windows have shafted inner jambs
with carved caps. Carved cornice in chancel. Nave has collar-beam roof with
braces on moulded stone corbels; scissor-brace chancel roof. Ornate C19
Monuments. Charles, second Earl Grey d.1845, in nave (originally in chancel);
white marble table tomb with inlaid brass foliate cross and enamelled shields,
designed by John Francis and carved by J. Bedford. On south of sanctuary
carved Grey arms in cusped panel are part of former canopy to this monument.
C17 Grey ledger stones in sanctuary.
Listing NGR: NU2485317398
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings