This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.4534 / 55°27'12"N
Longitude: -1.5958 / 1°35'44"W
OS Eastings: 425661
OS Northings: 617797
OS Grid: NU256177
Mapcode National: GBR K59C.9Y
Mapcode Global: WHC1F.G696
Entry Name: Schoolhouse and Old School with Attached Wall and Outbuildings
Listing Date: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371188
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237031
Location: Longhoughton, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Longhoughton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Howick St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 2517 LONGHOUGHTON HOWICK VILLAGE
17/140 Schoolhouse and
Old School, with
attached wall and
Former school and master's house, with yard walls and outbuildings to rear.
House late C18, enlarged and school added in mid-C19. Squared tooled stone,
C19 parts with tooled-and-margined quoins and dressings; Welsh slate roofs.
House 2 storeys, 1 + 2 bays, the lower left part C18. Right part has shallow
flat-topped porch, with flush-panelled door under cornice, in left bay; left
part has paired 12-pane sashes on ground floor (right is C19 insertion) and
single similar window above. Both parts have pitched gable copings on moulded
kneelers; stepped-and-corniced end stacks.
Single-storey 3-bay school to left; paired 12-pane sashes except for 8-pane
sash in right end bay; between left bays a projecting stepped chimney breast
carrying stepped-and-corniced stack. Left end gable has pitched coping on
moulded kneelers, and corbelled-out bellcote with shouldered arch above blind
slit; roll-moulded finial. Far left is lower pent porch with 2-pane sash and
boarded door to rear.
Left return of school shows paired 12-pane sashes in stop-chamfered surrounds.
Right return of house shows 12-pane sashes. Rear elevation: house has small
yard with flat-coped wall and boarded door; small outbuilding at right of yard
has small-paned casements in outer walls. School shows vertical-panelled door
in stop-chamfered alternating-block surround.
Historical note: Magdalen Grey d.1709 left funds towards the maintenance of a
school at Howick, further endowed by Sir Henry Grey c.1749. The older part
of the house is said to have housed the schoolroom on the ground floor and
master's dwelling above.
Listing NGR: NU2566117797
Other nearby listed buildings