This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2296 / 52°13'46"N
Longitude: -0.825 / 0°49'29"W
OS Eastings: 480351
OS Northings: 259695
OS Grid: SP803596
Mapcode National: GBR CXW.28R
Mapcode Global: VHDS6.N773
Entry Name: 4, Meadow Lane
Listing Date: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371281
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235551
Location: Little Houghton, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Little Houghton
Built-Up Area: Little Houghton
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Little Houghton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
LITTLE HOUGHTON MEADOW LANE
SP8059 (East side)
Cottage, formerly summerhouse. Dated 1685, altered C19. Ironstone ashlar and
coursed ironstone rubble, C20 plain-tile roof, brick end stack. 1-unit plan. 2
storeys and attic; 1-window range. Main front faces walled garden to rear is
ashlar-faced and has central blocked door with eared and moulded stone surround.
Large inscription panel above of red sandstone with moulded stone sill and
bolection-moulded stone surround. Inscription, now worn, reads "A DEO SUNT
REGES/CONSILIA PRODITORUM INANIA; DUM GEMIT AD BELGAS PERITURIS/ABSOLOM
ARMIS/HANC STUDIO PACISQUE DEO/SACRAVIMUS ARCEM/PRID.IDUUM JULII MDCLXXV/M/TW".
Upright keyed oval windows flank door, that to left blank. Inscription panel
flanked by similar niches rendered inside; rendering to right niche incised with
eared urn. Wave-moulded plinth, chamfered quoins and stone-coped gable. Present
entrance to left at basement level. Elevation facing road has one 2-light
casement window to basement (ground flor on road side) 1st and attic floors.
Gable on this side rebuilt in red brick. The cottage was built as a summerhouse
or gazebo to walled garden of the seat of the Wards, demolished 1777. The
inscription refers to Dryden's poem 'Absolom and Achitophel' published in 1681.
Absolom of the poem and inscription is the Duke of Hannouth. The initials are
those of Thomas and Mary Ward.
Listing NGR: SP8035159695
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings