This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2249 / 52°13'29"N
Longitude: -0.7391 / 0°44'20"W
OS Eastings: 486225
OS Northings: 259275
OS Grid: SP862592
Mapcode National: GBR CXZ.KY1
Mapcode Global: VHDS8.4BMP
Entry Name: The Water Tower
Listing Date: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371299
English Heritage Legacy ID: 235420
Location: Castle Ashby, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN7
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Castle Ashby
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Castle Ashby St Mary Magdalene
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
CASTLE ASHBY CASTLE ASHBY PARK
13/20 The Water Tower
Water tower. Dated 1865. Supervising Architect Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt. Part of
the improvements carried out at Castle Ashby by the 3rd Marquis of Northampton.
Coursed limestone rubble with limestone dressings, concrete and lead roofs.
Square tower with octagonal stair turret to south-west angle, which has an extra
stage. Approxinately 75 feet to top of turret. Bottom stage has a batter and
tall archway leading from courtyard on west side of Castle Ashby, to a formal
walk at west end of terrace gardens, leading down to the park. Round-headed arch
with tall keyblock and imposts, supported by console brackets. Narrow door to
stair-turret to left of archway with segmental-arched head. 3rd stage has a
belvedere room with pairs of round-arched windows to each side and stone
balconies below supported by moulded stone brackets. Windows are divided by a
shaft and have plate-glass sashes. Pieced balustrade to balconies. Top stage
containing tanks has corbel table and large keyed roundels to each side in
square moulded stone surrounds, containing pierced stone monogram of Charles 3rd
Marquis of Northampton and his wife Theodosia. Pierced parapet to turret and
lettered parapet to lower with date 1865 to courtyard side and family motto NISI
DOMINUS to other sides. A single-storey link joins tower to single-storey wings
flanking court to west side of Castle Ashby (q.v.). The tallest building of the
Castle Ashby complex and something of a landmark.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p144)
Listing NGR: SP8622559275
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings