History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holywell Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Seaton Valley, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0639 / 55°3'49"N

Longitude: -1.5035 / 1°30'12"W

OS Eastings: 431806

OS Northings: 574490

OS Grid: NZ318744

Mapcode National: GBR K9YW.9J

Mapcode Global: WHC36.WZ6B

Entry Name: Holywell Manor House

Listing Date: 8 February 1949

Last Amended: 15 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371385

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235971

Location: Seaton Valley, Northumberland, NE25

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Seaton Valley

Built-Up Area: Seaton Delaval

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Seghill Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Hartley

Listing Text

A 192
NZ 37 SW
(East side, off)
Holywell, Whitley Bay
8/7 Holywell Manor House
(Formerly listed
8.2.49
as Strother Farm)
GV II
House, dated 1654 with inscription MEDIOCRIA FIRMA on door lintel, built for
Sir Ralph Bates. Large rubble with cut dressings, some renewed c.1970; renewed
pantile roof with C20 brick stacks. South elevation 2 storeys, 4 bays. Left-
of-centre renewed door in moulded surround with flattened 4-centred head,
inscribed lintel and hoodmould. Pair of doorways with similar but unmoulded
arches, the left a C20 insertion, between left bays. Ground-floor windows
formerly of 2 lights, in chamfered surrounds with hoodmoulds, that on right
enlarged into doorway; far right inserted C20 window. Upper windows with
similar surrounds, in flat-topped half dormers; smaller windows with timber
lintels between left bays and to far right. Coped gables with moulded kneelers;
end and 2 ridge stacks. Left return shows large projecting stack; former
2-light window with hoodmould on right and smaller chamfered window above. Rear
central gabled stair wing flanked by gabled single-storey wings, that to left a
C19 addition. Scattered fenestration; flat-topped half dormer near right end.

Interior: At west end large fireplace with segmental chamfered arch. Parlour
fireplace has moulded 4-centred arch; similar but simpler fireplace in bedroom
and another with corbelled-out lintel on stairs.

It is uncertain whether the present building is Bates' original house or a
service or lodgings range; the Northumberland County History suggests that the
main house stood on the east of the former courtyard, now a lawn.

The motto MEDIOCRIA FIRMA - 'The Middle Course is Safe' is associated with
several families including the Bacon Baronets and the Lords Grimston of
Westbury.

Listing NGR: NZ3180674490

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.