History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Western Winding House and Shaft Head Gear (Winder and Shaft No 1)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ashington, Northumberland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.1893 / 55°11'21"N

Longitude: -1.5478 / 1°32'52"W

OS Eastings: 428885

OS Northings: 588426

OS Grid: NZ288884

Mapcode National: GBR K8MF.PL

Mapcode Global: WHC2M.6T5P

Entry Name: Western Winding House and Shaft Head Gear (Winder and Shaft No 1)

Listing Date: 22 May 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1371394

English Heritage Legacy ID: 235913

Location: Ashington, Northumberland, NE63

County: Northumberland

Civil Parish: Ashington

Built-Up Area: Ashington (Northumberland)

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland

Church of England Parish: Woodhorn with Newbiggin

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Newbiggin-by-the-Sea

Listing Text

ASHINGTON WOODHORN COLLIERY
NZ 28 NE
Western winding
2/42 house and shaft
head gear (Winder
22/5/86 and Shaft No. 1)
II*
GV

Winding house and shaft head gear, c.1894 with early C20 extension. Yellow
Ashingtonbrick with gauged arches to doors and windows; Welsh slate roof;
shaft head gear cast iron. Rectangular 3-storey winding house with single-
storey extension to west and shaft on south. 3-bay side walls and 2-bay rear
have bays defined by pilasters rising to stepped-and-cogged eaves cornice, and
large round-arched windows holding metal-framed casements; one rear window
replaced by later doorway to external platform. Round-arched doorways and
windows to lower floors, and arched doorway onto walkway from upper floor to
cage. Hipped roof with gabled wooden dormer for winding ropes and raised louvre
on ridge. Extension has blocked arch on south and 4-bay west wall with detail
and fenestration as winding house, with some later openings inserted beneath
sill level; hipped roof.

Shaft head gear has skeletal frame with partial later boxing-in of corrugated
sheets.

Sinking of shafts commenced 1894; first coal produced Feb. 13, 1901. Steam
engine replaced by electric winder in 1975. 2 compressors in basement.


Listing NGR: NZ2888588426

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.